• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tangible Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CHF104

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
NY

I live in NY State and am working on getting my will prepared. My spouse will be my primary beneficiary for any tangible personal property items not specifically gifted to someone. In case my spouse doesn’t survive me, do I absolutely need to name one or more contingent beneficiaries to receive my tangible personal property? Is it possible to just request having my tangible personal property liquidated (arranged by the executor) and the money raised by the sale of the items added to my general estate? (I have decided to allocate percentages to my relatives and non profit organizations). Your help is appreciated

FlyingRon

You don't need contingent heirs if you don't want them. If you don't identify thing, they pass with the rest of the estate. Distribution is done by the exectuor (which could either be liquidation, or by passing them directly to the heirs). If you want something specific to happen, you should make that specific indication in the will (of course, if your estate has debts, these may go to satisfy the debts rather than passing as you will).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">