• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC speeding, 84 in a 70

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NicoleMarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Hi all,
I got a ticket on the I-40 going 84 in a 70mph in Sampson Co, NC. I have a court date set and was wondering what kind of fine I am looking at? Will they suspend my license? What do you do when you go to court? This my first (and last!) offense.

I considered getting a lawyer but they said I’d have to go to driving school for 8 hours and I’ll pass on that one. I’d rather try to get the ticket reduced to a 9 over and pay the fine/court costs myself, is that possible?

Thanks!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

14 over is the same as 9 over as far as NC cares. The cop did you a favor by not writing you for over 15 (if you were going that fast). If you've not used it before, you can use a PJC, but most won't for this because the first offense (other than the fine) is a non-event.

NicoleMarie

Oh good! I've been so worried about it. I've never been in any kind of trouble and getting a ticket was disappointing to me.

We also have a hurricane warning for where I live, should I be calling someone at the court house to ask for a different court date? I don't believe the weather is going to be bad at all since it should mostly miss us, but I have a 2 hr drive to get to the court house by 9am tomorrow. I don't think its going to be a problem, but it becomes one, who would I call?

FlyingRon

I would definitely call the court. I've heard that many of the shoreline counties are shutting down government offices like courts. Is your appearance date for tomorrow or Monday?

NicoleMarie

Sadly the court I have to go to is on the interior of the state while I'm on the coast. I called them and they informed me that no matter what I would still have to go at that time.

Thanks though!

FlyingRon

I'd evacuate now to somewhere near the court house.

I'm over in Catawba County, it's supposed to be sunny and pleasant all weekend :)

NicoleMarie

Yeah, considered it but finding someplace to take two 60lbs plus pitbulls makes things harder. I'll make it no matter what, just wish they could have delayed till Tuesday.

I'm jealous of your weather. Hurricane should be out by 8ish, but I have to be there by 9. So leaving at 6:30. Said by noon it'll even be hot here. Silly hurricane needs to turn ne soon.

tidbit about NC court rules

NC is a notice pleading state, not a fact pleading one (which is almost every other state) for civil cases. A plaintiff's dream state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">