• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What responsibility do I bear in a 5 car bumper to bumper

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was coming home from work today on a busy street. As I came to a stop in traffic, I heard tires screeching behind me. Next thing I know I am being hit from behind and my car was then pushed into the car in front of me. It turns out there were 5 cars involved. I was the 4th in line hit (so 2 cars behind me were hit by the first car before I hit the car in front of me). The car I hit had very minor bumper damage but the contact took out a good chunk of the right front of my car. It's drivable but it's going to be expensive as it involved the front bumper, right fender and light assembly. My rear bumper is intact and does not appear to have significant damage but it seems to have been knocked out of alignment and is sticking out on one side and has a dark impact mark from the other guys bumper.

I presume that I am responsible for the car I hit in front (which makes up 95% of the damage to my car). I was at a complete stop in traffic when I was hit. I took lots of pictures and got info from the person I hit and the person who hit me. A cop showed up but said he did not need to take a report since parties who hit each other exhchanged info. I did not get the info of the original guy who started the 5 car pileup. I did take pictures of his car and I took pictures of piece of paper that had info for the other people including the first two cars involved.

As far as injuries, no one was hurt. My neck is a little sore but nothing significant. I will wait to see how it feels in the morning as my friends keep telling me that's when it can get worse.

Should I expect to be at fault partially here?

ecmst12

The only reason you hit that car is because you were hit and pushed. You have no responsibility for any of it. The rearmost car is likely responsible for all the damage. However, if any of the other drivers hit the car in front of them BEFORE being hit from behind, responsibility would be shared between all those drivers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">