• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Astrolink

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Minnesota

I purchased a 2000 Saab from a private party. They disclosed the car has a salvage title. It's a 2000, and was totaled in 2009. From what I can see, all they had to do was to paint the front bumper cover and replace 1 headlight. With the age of the car, that's all it to took to total it. My point is the car is fixed and had minimal damage to begin with.

Once I brought the car home, I noticed the title is labeled not as "salvage" but "salvage must be inspected." Looking online, before I can have it inspected, I need a "Affidavit of Reconstruction" done, which requires receipts of the work done. The affidavit was not included with the car, and i haven't been able to contact the seller.

Do I have a $2000 paperweight, or is is possible to get it inspected/licensed? Do I have any recourse against the seller, or is my not seeing the "must be inspected" completely my problem? I've purchased a couple salvage title vehicles before (it's common in MN with the snowy/icy roads) without a problem, but there must be 2 kinds of salvage titles, one where has been inspected and found fit to be used, and one where that inspection has not taken place yet...like I have. I didn't have this problem before.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">