• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sloppy Probate / Wrongful death help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpgol4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My father (biological) just recently passed away. He became very ill very rapidly, therefore loose ends were not tied up the way they should have been. My stepmother and stepbrother wrote new will the day in which he was pronounced dead...he could not even sign his name, where he attempted to write an "X" in the signature blank. I have been informed that this will absolutely will not stand up in Texas courts. The will gives 100% of the estate to my stepmother, which in turn will all go to my stepbrother at the time of her death.....All of this being said, I really don't think the estate is worth fighting them over with the exception of one item....

Here is where the story takes a very unusual twist....just prior to my Dad passing away (3 months or so), my grandmother (my dad's mother) was put in a home specifically for the care of alzheimers and she fell out of a 3rd story window...so naturally a wrongfull death lawsuit was filed. The wrongful death lawsuit was filed in the names of my grandmother's 4 surviving children...one of which was my father. My ultimate question is "Who will get my father's 1/4 of any wrongul death monies awarded".... Keep in mind that my stepmother has been given 100% of my father's estate, so does his part of any wrongful death money for his mother pass through the estate?? If so, I am afraid that the estate is in such bad shape that this money will be eaten up by the estate, however it doesn't seem right that people who are unrelated would be the recipients of my grandmother's wrongful death lawsuit....if they are going to receive this money through the estate, I will contest the will, but if that money could be distributed directly to me or be taken by the 3 surviving siblings, I would not contest the will....Please help, thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">