• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandated Maintenance Contract.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostntexas

The Lone Star State of Texas.

Texas Commission On Environmental Quality requires all owners of an on-site aerobic septic system to purchase a maintenance contract from a licensed maintenance provider.

From TCEQ web site;

What should the contract specify?
The maintenance contract shall specify the following:
List items that are covered by the contract;
Specify a time frame in which the maintenance provider will visit the property in response to a complaint by the property owner regarding the operation of the system;
Specify the name of the individual employed by the maintenance company who will be performing the maintenance on your system;
Identify the frequency of routine maintenance and the frequency of the required testing and reporting; and
Identify who is responsible for maintaining the disinfection unit.

My contract approved by TCEQ consist of 3 visit’s a year by the professional maintenance provider. He fills out a “Testing and Reporting Record” . The record list the date, property address and permit number and signature of person performing inspection.

Directly below that is a list of 9 items to be inspected aerator, disinfectant device, irrigation pump and so on. The maintenance is required to check off on each item, operational or inoperative. Note any repairs made or any components replaced.

Next the maintenance provider is required to text an affluent discharge sample for residual chlorine and enter the test results on the report. Then he is ask if he had responded to any owner complaints over the reporting period and last any comments or recommendations he had.

No maintenance is required or performed under the terms of the contract other than “replenishing the chlorine tablets in the disinfection unit" and replenishing the chlorine tablets are done by the homeowner. Checking off operational or inoperative does not constitute maintenance and falls under the category of inspection.

From TCEQ web site.

Two years after the initial installation of your aerobic treatment unit, maintenance can be performed by homeowners for systems that use secondary treatment systems, non-standard treatment systems, drip irrigation, and surface application disposal.
Note: Some permitting authorities have adopted more stringent requirements, which may require homeowner training or even a prohibition against homeowner maintenance.

I live within the enforcement jurisdiction of the Trinity River Authority and they do not allow the homeowner to maintain his own equipment. I am now in violation of their order R-1048-1 a Class C misdemeanor. I plan to challenge this regulation in court due to the fact that the only requirements of the contract or testing and reporting.

The only maintenance mentioned in the contract is maintaining the chlorinator. “replenishing the chlorine tablets as they dissolve away” the person listed in the contract responsible for maintaining the chlorinator is the homeowner.

The regulation prohibits homeowner maintenance yet the contract makes the homeowner responsible for maintaining the cholrinator.

Compliance with the regulation by buying the contract, obligates the homeowner to violate the regulation by maintaining the chlorinator.

It’s a technicality but what do you think of this defense?

A class C misdemeanor will be decided by a J.P.

Do you think he will be able to come down on my side or will I have to appeal this to a higher court?

Last edited:

justalayman

The only maintenance mentioned in the contract is maintaining the chlorinator. “replenishing the chlorine tablets as they dissolve away” the person listed in the contract responsible for maintaining the chlorinator is the homeowner.

The regulation prohibits homeowner maintenance yet the contract makes the homeowner responsible for maintaining the cholrinator.
so you have an illegal contract, right? You cannot contract in contrast of the law and then depend on that contract to defend your actions.

lostntexas

so you have an illegal contract, right? You cannot contract in contrast of the law and then depend on that contract to defend your actions.
Yes in my opinion it is an illegal contract.

The reason I was charged with a class C misdemeanor is because I refused to renew the contract as required by the TRA regulation.

The question was is a J. P. court able to declare the contract illegal or is he more likely to back the regulation as is and leave it to a higher court to decide the legality of the contract?

justalayman

=lostntexas;2640391]

The reason I was charged with a class C misdemeanor is because I refused to renew the contract as required by the TRA regulation.
that isn't what I see. What I see is you refused to maintain a contract as required. It didn't have to be with the entity you were contracted with and as such, it didn't matter if you renewed the contract or not but whether you had a contact with anybody at all.

The question was is a J. P. court able to declare the contract illegal or is he more likely to back the regulation as is and leave it to a higher court to decide the legality of the contract?
it doesn't matter if he rules the contract illegal or unenforceable. It is not pertinent to your case. The fact is you did not maintain a contract and you performed your own maintenance which is illegal.

You are trying to use the illegal contract as a defense to you breaking the law. It isn't. The contract was voidable at any time due to it being illegal but the important point is that it you are not allowed to act as the contract directed.

Unless the courts provided this contract to you, the courts are not responsible for what is in the contract. It is up to you to abide by the laws and if following the contract as written causes you to break the law, that is your fault.

lostntexas

that isn't what I see. What I see is you refused to maintain a contract as required. It didn't have to be with the entity you were contracted with and as such, it didn't matter if you renewed the contract or not but whether you had a contact with anybody at all.

it doesn't matter if he rules the contract illegal or unenforceable. It is not pertinent to your case. The fact is you did not maintain a contract and you performed your own maintenance which is illegal.

You are trying to use the illegal contract as a defense to you breaking the law. It isn't. The contract was voidable at any time due to it being illegal but the important point is that it you are not allowed to act as the contract directed.

Unless the courts provided this contract to you, the courts are not responsible for what is in the contract. It is up to you to abide by the laws and if following the contract as written causes you to break the law, that is your fault.
The fact is the terms of the contract are defined by TCEQ and the local permitting authority. All maintenance company’s operating in their jurisdiction must be registered and get approval for the contracts they sell. I have NO voice in what the contract requires.

If I renew I break the law by maintaining the clorinator.

If I refuse to renew I break the law by not maintaining a contract with a licensed maintenance provider.

My defense is this law is impossible to enforce.

justalayman

The fact is the terms of the contract are defined by TCEQ and the local permitting authority. All maintenance company’s operating in their jurisdiction must be registered and get approval for the contracts they sell. I have NO voice in what the contract requires.

If I renew I break the law by maintaining the clorinator.

If I refuse to renew I break the law by not maintaining a contract with a licensed maintenance provider.

My defense is this law is impossible to enforce.
no. you simply have to find a provider that does not include for the homeowner to perform their own maintenance. Before you sign a contract, you tell the provider that the homeowner required maintenance is illegal in your area so you need a contract the complies with the limitations and requirements for your area.

If you have checked with every licensed provider for your area and none of them will comply with your demand (and you have proof), only then do you have a reasonable defense to not signing a service contract as it then becomes impossible for you to obtain the legally required services.

I have NO voice in what the contract requires.
yes you do.

even if you sign a contract with the illegal acts included, it would still be illegal to perform those illegal actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">