• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jet SkiRental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

productguru

I live in Southern California. I rented a Sea Doo with my Son yesterday and had a little issue. We signed all the paperwork, gave our credit card and went down and got the little lesson and they set us loose. We were not given a sign off sheet or anything to check for damage. I will tell you that there was no noticable damage but the units were used. Upon starting it up my son had his hand on the gas and we hit the dock with the left front side of the sea doo. On the rubber bumper of the watercraft. The guy helping everyone pulled it out of the water and searched up and down to see if there was any damage. He eventually found what he said to be "Small Stress Cracks" on the Right side towards the front under the bumper. Anyways, he said that his dad was not around to inspect so we went out for our hour of use. When we came back in his father was still not back. I went to the office to figure everything out and noticed that they just sent the unit back out with another renter. They said that they could not give me my credit card back until the owner came back. I waited for about 45 minutes. I finally just left. The owner called me later that night and said that he took pictures when the unit got back from rental and so on. The damage could be extensive, etc. He mentioned that he already tried to run my credit card for a deposit on the damage. (I canceled the card so he could not do this without my consent.)

Here is my question.
I did hit the dock, but does that automatically make me liable for any damages he said I caused?

#1 We did not inspect the water craft and without being an expert would not have known or even looked under the rubber bumper.

#2 They did not even photograph or remove unit from rental access. It went right back out.

#3 I am not an expert but do not believe a bump to the unti on the left side would cause damage on the opposite side of the unit.

What should I do?

cyjeff

Here is what you do.

You call them. You say that if they want to sue you for the repairs, to do so.

Then, when they take you to small claims court, you show your proof that the watercraft when immediately back out.

There have been cases where the same damage was charged to everyone that rented the seadoo that day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">