• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father passed recenly need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maxss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello everyone. My father recently passed away. He had no will, very little in assets, and a ton of debt.

My brother is the eldest and lives in fl. I accually live in ct. My father had a trailer, that some realtors state is unsellable. The trailer is in a park and the park owners are threatening to sue my brother for rent of land that the trailer is on. Neither of us want this trailer and there is no value in it. The trailer is vacant and empty.

My dads other debts are ok waiting for the estate to settle to sort out if there is anything left which we both know there is nothing left.

We are worried on who is responsible for the remaining debt but first and foremost we need help in dealing with this trailer. You could say its in estate dispute as neither of us want it. Any advice would be a great help.

anteater

You mention "...waiting for the estate to settle..." I take that to mean that probate has been opened. Right?

If so, who is the estate's personal representative? It is the personal representative's responsibility to dispose of the assets. Heck, the PR could probably find someone to haul it away and junk it.

You and brother are not responsible for your father's debts unless you signed something obligating yourselves to pay. His estate is. If there is nothing left after the debts are paid, then there is nothing left.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">