• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got a Reckless Driving Ticket in Virginia and need answers.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ganimex

Ok, so I have a couple of questions. First off I want to say a little about myself and my situation. I currently live in Ohio and unfortunately over the weekend I received a Reckless Driving ticket in Virginia. The officer said his partner clocked me at 88mph in a 65. (skeptical)

Now question number one: Do the points from this ticket in Virginia (6 points) apply to my driving record in Ohio?

Number 2: If my license ends up getting suspended in Virginia (Court date next week) does that mean my driving privileges in Ohio will also be suspended.

Number 3: The officer handed me a pink slip and said I should mail it in if I was unable to make it to the court date. (Trial in absence) Now the place is 6 hours away from where I live and I really do not want to have to drive down there for a stupid traffic court date so should I take the risk and just mail in and hope they don't fine me an ungodly amount of money? Also, if I go down there will I have a chance at getting the ticket dropped to an improper driving ticket.

Please no dumb answers I have been looking on google and all I see is junk info. I would like to see information about Virginia and Ohio.

Thank you a bunch,
Ganimex

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You can't expect volunteers to be around 24/7 to answer your questions. It may take time to get any answer. Asking a second time for an answer will not result in getting information more quickly.

HighwayMan

Ok, so I have a couple of questions. First off I want to say a little about myself and my situation. I currently live in Ohio and unfortunately over the weekend I received a Reckless Driving ticket in Virginia. The officer said his partner clocked me at 88mph in a 65. (skeptical)
What statute were you charged with (number)? How fast WERE you traveling?

Now question number one: Do the points from this ticket in Virginia (6 points) apply to my driving record in Ohio?
Should not, but what you really need to do is check with Ohio DMV to see how they deal with out of state points.

Number 2: If my license ends up getting suspended in Virginia (Court date next week) does that mean my driving privileges in Ohio will also be suspended.
No - it's your driving privilege that gets suspended in Virginia since you have no Virginia license. The only way your Ohio license will be suspended is if you fail to answer the ticket or fail to pay any fines or penalties.

Number 3: The officer handed me a pink slip and said I should mail it in if I was unable to make it to the court date. (Trial in absence) Now the place is 6 hours away from where I live and I really do not want to have to drive down there for a stupid traffic court date so should I take the risk and just mail in and hope they don't fine me an ungodly amount of money? Also, if I go down there will I have a chance at getting the ticket dropped to an improper driving ticket.
Never mind what the officer said, what does the ticket say? Did you read it?

If the court date is "stupid" maybe you should ignore it. But if you want a chance to fight this or get the charge reduced then you need an attorney. As I understand it, they don't play games in Virginia.

FlyingRon

Any thing over 80 is reckless driving in VA.
Reckless driving is a CRIME, i.e., a misdemeanor.
You want to do what you can to avoid having this on your record.
Worrying about Ohio points should be the least of your concerns.

Contact a lawyer in the county in which you were charged. Many courts will let you take driver school to dismiss or plea this down to a lesser offense. Some will even allow the lawyer to stand for you in court rather than you having to make the mandatory appearance.

While Virginia can't suspend your Ohio license, if you get suspended here, Ohio may here and take action. At the least you'll find it very hard to renew with a Virginia suspension pending.

ganimex

Thanks!

Ok to answer HighwayMan's Questions first... The charge is (92-146 2-862) I think its hard to read this guys handwriting. It says Reckless Driving - Speed 88/65 mph zone (m.rD). Obviously I read what the ticket said and the officer was polite enough to take a minutes and answer a couple of immediate questions I had.

Now for FlyingRon:
I am not worried about my criminal record because its already rough. I know having this on my record is definitely not going to help anything but the reason why I am concerned is because of my work. I drive all day and I cannot afford to lose my license.

(please no "Well you shouldn't have been going that fast...", because I know I got myself in this situation)

Now for my own research:
After talking with the court on the phone I was told that if I come I will be given the option to take a driving class and also that I will be able to take it back home in Ohio. I will also have 6 months to take this class and mail them the documentation of completing the course. Looks like things are going to work out fine. One major thing I noticed today... The court date is a month away not this weekend I had the wrong month #.

Thank you guys for responding so quickly and obviously I cant expect a volunteer to be around 24/7... I have posted questions before and got answers within minutes and it had been 4 hours and plus I was stressing.

Thanks again!!!!!

HighwayMan

After going to court I would take that class ASAP, despite the fact that you have 6 months. You don't know how long it will take to schedule and then how long it will take to get the certificate after completion.

ganimex

I am planning on that Highwayman. I dont need this to become any worse than it needs to be so when the judge tells me to jump I will say how high and do so quickly... :p Thank you FlyingRon I couldn't read the writing happy to have you tell me it correctly!

Thank You!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">