• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer is demanding 650,000.00 from the insurance company.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jack153

My lawyer sent out a demand letter demanding 650,000.00 if this case will settle out of court what amount should I be expecting to receive..( re-ended DUI)

Mass_Shyster

The amount demanded or sued for does not provide any indication to a possible settlement.

Jonathan Lee Riches sued Michael Vick for $63,000,000,000 (63 billion dollars) and received nothing.

A little old lady offered to settle her burn claim with McDonald's for around $20,000. She was awarded millions.

My guess, based on the facts provided, is you will receive somewhere between zero and $63,000,000,000.

jack153

steve let me give you some more facts I was rear ended by a drunk driver who fled the scean and caused me injuries.... Automatically the fault is on him.... his insurace will want to settle

Some Random Guy

My lawyer sent out a demand letter demanding 650,000.00 if this case will settle out of court what amount should I be expecting to receive..
First, figure out what state you live in, since you deleted that question. Then ask your lawyer. He knows far more facts about your case than we do.

And since you kept a copy of the fee agreement you signed when you hired your lawyer, you should be able to quickly calculate the actual money you receive after you deduct your lawyer's expenses, contingency fees and your medical expenses.

ecmst12

Judging from the demands I've seen from lawyers, your case is actually worth less then half of what he asked for. Possibly a lot less.

racer72

A little old lady offered to settle her burn claim with McDonald's for around $20,000. She was awarded millions.

My guess, based on the facts provided, is you will receive somewhere between zero and $63,000,000,000.
Not true. She sued for $600,000, McDonalds offered $75,000. They ended up settling for an amount somewhere between the two amounts.

justalayman

Not true. She sued for $600,000, McDonalds offered $75,000. They ended up settling for an amount somewhere between the two amounts.

the settlement was a sealed out of court agreement and the only people privy to the final number are the McD's people, Stella, and her attorneys.

Initially she asked for something like $20k and McD's refused and countered with $800. She sued. She won $200k actual damages but that was reduced to $160k due to her being found 20% liable. She was also awarded $2.7 mil punitive damages. The court reduced that amount to $480k (3X actual damages)

Then McD's and Stella went into private negotiations. They reached a private settlement.

I don't remember if she sued for any specific damages. It's been awhile since I read the filing and I cannot find it quickly.

Last edited:

ecmst12

She had scarring and probably decreased sensitivity to the affected area, she needed multiple surgeries/skin grafts to repair the damage.

justalayman

She had scarring and probably decreased sensitivity to the affected area, she needed multiple surgeries/skin grafts to repair the damage.
she had 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her crotch and buttocks. She spent a week in the hospital initially then stayed with her daughter for 3 weeks to recuperate. She then returned to the hospital for skin grafts.

she was disabled for 2 years and has scars over 16% of her body due to the incident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">