• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tow truck damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john0068

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
A tow truck picked up my car, in an effort to reposess the vehicle of someone I do not know, because the parking lot was not big enough to get to the vehicle he wanted without moving my car. He was in a hurry not to get caught, and accidently shoved my car into a cement wall, pushing the car off the wheel lift, and ripping the front of my 2009 Taurus, and damaging the back from the cement wall. He took off, with the reposessed car. Someone came and got me, and gave me the name and number off the towtruck. I called him and told him I was going to call the police, and sue him. He came back to my house and told me he would pay for the repairs, not to call the police. (I didn't Stupid me) He avoided me for two weeks, then told me that his neighbor does body work at his house, and he would fix it. I told him his neighbor was not going to fix my car in his back yard, and I had a estimate from the ford dealer for $1,580.00. He told me he wasn't going to pay that, his neighbor would do it cheaper, if I wanted it fixed at the Ford dealer, I could pay for it myself. I sent him a demand letter to sue him, he told me that he had a body shop that would fix it, but told me I didn't need to know who. He said he would come and get my car, and when it was done, he would bring it back. (I am not going to turn my car over to him, and hand him the keys) It's a new car, I WANT IT FIXED at the dealer. He has refused to furnish me with the insurance information I have asked for several times. He said his deductable is $1,000.00 and he can get it fixed for $400.00
I have done sone research, and would like any advice given.I may be wrong, but I'm thinking, If I take him to small claims court: Towtuck/reposession drivers are not allowed to touch or move cars they were not hired to move/reposess. Florida statute 812.12 satates that unauthorized, or illegal towing of a vehicle constitutes "civil theft" FL. Statute 772.11 Anyone who sustaines damage by reason of any violation of FL. Statute 812.12 has cause of action for threefold damages, and court cost, attorney fees. Am I entitled to three times the amount of the damage (the ford dealer estimate) since this guy is so difficult?
any advice helpful,
Thanks
John

john0068

I have already done some reserch on that, he has his own business, in the girlfriends name, he was denied a recovery licence in the state of floridadue to his criminal record, so his girlfriend got the licence he opperates under. That makes her liable, that is good. He has nothing, she has eight properties in this county, and her own business, that she has had for ten years (a tent chair table, party/wedding setup business.
My main question is does the three times damage apply here, and is his insurance company liable for the triple damages if I win. I can win in court, and still not get paid, I'm obviously dealing with an ass.
John

ecmst12

No you can't get triple damages, you are entitled to be made WHOLE, not better then whole. Actual damages only, don't get greedy. But file a complaint with the entity that issues their business license.

You Are Guilty

Technically, he didn't "tow" your Taurus, so no theft there and no 3x damages. However, you will want to get more than one estimate to present to the court (2 is ok, 3 is better), and be sure to have your witness available in person to testify. Once you've got those ducks lined up, you should have no problem winning in Small Claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">