• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re-titling property deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DLC4974

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
My mother re-titled her house (assessed for $1M) to my brother and me (to avoid losing it if she had to go into a nursing home, she was 82 at the time) and purchased long-term care insurance 8 years ago. At the time, she mistakenly thought she was then 1/3 owner of her house. But the title was in my name and my brother's, with my mother retaining life use. My brother died this year at age 49 without a will. He was married with one adult son. So as I understand it, they are now the owners of my deceased brother's share of my mother's house. My mother wants to leave $100K to each of 4 grandchildren, but has no cash to do so. She wants to re-title the house back into her name, so that when she passes, the house can be sold and the proceeds divided according to her wishes, with the balance after the $400K is distributed, going to myself. But my brother's wife and son are refusing to sign the deed back over to her. My children will be well-provided for as I am financially well-off. They know nothing of these disagreements. Iis this worth persuing in court to force them to re-title the deed?

justalayman

there is no justification for a court to force the title change. The original transfer was done willingly and with intent so it is what it is.

as to who owns the other share; depends what state he lived in and his financial status at his time of death.

curb1

You said, "Iis this worth persuing in court to force them to re-title the deed?".

That is not going to happen unless it is voluntary. Courts certainly won't force it. Mother will just have to trust that you and sister-in-law might share with grandkids.

It doesn't matter, but how did the title get to be in your name and your brother's name?

justalayman

It doesn't matter, but how did the title get to be in your name and your brother's name?
My mother re-titled her house (assessed for $1M) to my brother and me (to avoid losing it if she had to go into a nursing home,

one other thing I missed:

depending on how title to the property was held between the two brothers could play a part. If it was tenants in common, what I said previously holds. If it was as joint tenants, then you are not the only owner and you can do with the property what you want to.

I assumed it was tenants in common.

Kiawah

a typo

If it was as joint tenants, then you are not the only owner and you can do with the property what you want to.
Layman, I think you meant to write, then you are 'now' the only owner. Like Joint w/right of survivorship.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">