• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Based Business & Zoning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkent1978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We purchased our home last November. It was previously a sales office and model home for a homebuilder and located in a Business zoned district. We filed for a variance for residential use prior to closing which was approved.

Fast-forward to today and my wife has just had our first child and we're looking at starting a home-based business. I inquired with the zoning inspector and he stated he would need to speak with legal counsel because he didn't think that I could...since we had just filed for residential use and now we're wanting to use it as a commercial property. I told him the primary use of the home would still be as a residence and it would be a home based business.

Is this truly a legal matter or moreso a matter of whether zoning just "feels" like this is something they want to approve or not? The other frustrating thing is that there is a run down home across the street that was condemned due to meth that the city allows mobile auto repair shops to run out of storage buildings on the property. I just find it hard to believe that I could be turned down yet the folks across the street can continue to operate as usual.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We purchased our home last November. It was previously a sales office and model home for a homebuilder and located in a Business zoned district. We filed for a variance for residential use prior to closing which was approved.

Fast-forward to today and my wife has just had our first child and we're looking at starting a home-based business. I inquired with the zoning inspector and he stated he would need to speak with legal counsel because he didn't think that I could...since we had just filed for residential use and now we're wanting to use it as a commercial property. I told him the primary use of the home would still be as a residence and it would be a home based business.

Is this truly a legal matter or moreso a matter of whether zoning just "feels" like this is something they want to approve or not? The other frustrating thing is that there is a run down home across the street that was condemned due to meth that the city allows mobile auto repair shops to run out of storage buildings on the property. I just find it hard to believe that I could be turned down yet the folks across the street can continue to operate as usual.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: it is a truly legal matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">