• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run - California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

volcom714hb

Can someone help me to understand what I am looking at... I live in the California.

I went to park my car in a parking structure, and I accidentally tapped the bumper of another car, I stopped checked out the car, I saw no damage, I parked my car in the Parking structure over night I came back to get my car 2 days later and it was taken by the police department, & I called the police dept. and they stated that it was impounded and I could only get it by talking to the officer that is only on duty on from Fri. to Sun.

I am on informal probation for a DUI, I was not intoxicated at the time. There may have been an empty whisky flask bottle that was left in the car by a friend of mine 2 weeks prior. What am I looking at?

I had 2 prior DUI's 2003/2008 BAC% .09% & .08%

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Can someone help me to understand what I am looking at... I live in the state of california in Orange County, California.

I went to park my car in a parking structure, and I accidentally tapped the bumper of another car, I stopped checked out the car, I saw no damage, I parked my car in the Parking structure over night I came back to get my car 2 days later and it was taken by the police department, & I called the police dept. and they stated that it was impounded and I could only get it by talking to the officer that is only on duty on from Fri. to Sun.

I am on informal probation for a DUI, I was not intoxicated at the time. There may have been an empty whisky flask bottle that was left in the car by a friend of mine 2 weeks prior. What am I looking at?

I had 2 prior DUI's 2003/2008 BAC% .09% & .08%

**A: there is more to this story.

volcom714hb

This is the story...

Exactly what I put. So based on what is written as the potential charges what am I looking at?

CdwJava

My guess is the car was impounded as evidence per CVC 22655.5.

Volcom, I suspect the charges are misdemeanor ht-and-run per CVC 20002(a). Further, I suspect they believe you were driving impaired and that was why you left the car where it was. But, unless you admit to driving impaired, they will not be able to substantiate such a claim so you got lucky there.

Consult legal counsel before admitting to anything. There may be criminal and civil ramifications to this hit and run.

You may want to ask about how to get the car back, and when. Once they tell you that you can pick it up, you start accumulating storage fees from the impounding tow company.

make sure you dont run your yap. at all. You have no friends there. They ARE looking to get you. I would POLITELY and RESPECTFULLY (dont rile up the hornets nest) refuse to answer any questions, assert my right to remain silent and ask them how to get my car. End of chat with duty officer thank you very much... get a lawyer if/before they file.

Last edited:

volcom714hb

Bad Luck

I coach youth wrestling bad things just seem to find me. Little things that add up to bigger things.

#1 PC 422 Criminal Threats - Midemeanor 2004
#2 DUI/Reckless .09% - 2003
#3 DUI .08%

And now I could potentially be charged with a hit and run, does anyone know how one changes their luck?

CdwJava

I coach youth wrestling bad things just seem to find me. Little things that add up to bigger things.

#1 PC 422 Criminal Threats - Midemeanor 2004
#2 DUI/Reckless .09% - 2003
#3 DUI .08%

And now I could potentially be charged with a hit and run, does anyone know how one changes their luck?
Apparently, avoiding alcohol would be a good start. And maybe counting to 100 before you comment in anger.

Maestro64

It looks to me someone saw you bumped the car then they saw you leave and did not leave anything on the other car to say what happen. The police were called they ran your plate saw your record and did exact what CdwJava said.

It hard to say whether the police were in their rights since there was (based on your own words) no damage to the car, and probable cause base on your past record may or may not be valid. The last time I check you do not have to report an accident if no property damage occurred. The important part of hit and run is property damage. This also assume you were not somehow illegally parked.

This is where having a lawyer will help since there could be more to this than meets the eye. As someone said keep your mouth shut the police obvious believe you did something wrong and probably more then hit and run and will make every attempt to get you to admit something to substantiate their probable cause claim for impounding the car. They are looking for a crime here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">