• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car Title Transfer Logistics Private Seller

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1tenant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am interested in purchasing a used car with 18k miles on it 2004 originally owned by a 88 year old woman in Pennsylvania who can't drive anymore so she signed over title to her son.

My question is the title a legitimate transfer if the son signed over the mother's title over to me that was initially signed over to him?

(Mom "title PA")>(Signed title transfer to son)>(Signed same title transfer to me)=(Me Legal Owner)?

or does he need to get a hard title over to at dmv before he could sell the car to someone else?

(Mom "title PA")>(Signed title transfer to son)>(NY DMV issues title to son)>(Signed title transfer to me)=(Me Legal Owner)?

Thanks,

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am interested in purchasing a used car with 18k miles on it 2004 originally owned by a 88 year old woman in Pennsylvania who can't drive anymore so she signed over title to her son.

My question is the title a legitimate transfer if the son signed over the mother's title over to me that was initially signed over to him?

(Mom "title PA")>(Signed title transfer to son)>(Signed same title transfer to me)=(Me Legal Owner)?

or does he need to get a hard title over to at dmv before he could sell the car to someone else?

(Mom "title PA")>(Signed title transfer to son)>(NY DMV issues title to son)>(Signed title transfer to me)=(Me Legal Owner)?

Thanks,
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-buysell.pdf

If the vehicle hasn't been properly transfered ,I'd suggest having the OWNER obtain a duplicate / replacement title and have it done correctly .

If the vehicle hasn't been transfered properly ,title just signed, you might try calling the PA DMV and inquiring if the title as it is ( signatures ) can be altered to reflect you as the buyer.

I wouldn't purchase it the way the title is at this time.

xylene

Does he need to get a hard title over to at dmv before he could sell the car to someone else?
Yes. He needs to do that.

But for your purposes -

NY will only accept a 1 signature title, esp for an out of state private party title.

Either have them get a NEW title signed ONLY by the 88 year

or

Have them complete the transfer of ownership to the son and have only him sign it.

1tenant

Thanks it really Helps,

I just asked about the notary required by PA for title transfer. The title was Notarized when signed by the Woman but over to Him. Also He has power of attorney over her possessions so he has proof of that.

He doesn't want to register for tax reasons and fee's and just sell the car.

I think only a Car Dealer could re-issue a title like this one to me.

Bummer it looks like good car.

BL

Thanks it really Helps,

I just asked about the notary required by PA for title transfer. The title was Notarized when signed by the Woman but over to Him. Also He has power of attorney over her possessions so he has proof of that.

I think only a Car Dealer could re-issue a title like this one to me.

Bummer it looks like good car.
She should be able to get a replacement title ( as in lost ) , then sell it properly to you .

It may take some time .

xylene

Well, there is no reason for you to end up with a car that you can't get title to because he'd rather not pay the taxes and fees that he is required to pay by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">