• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do about unethical / non performing attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

explorerw

Here is a bit of background, about 6 months ago as was involved in a vehicular accident in New Jersey, where I was injured, few days after the accident I’ve contacted an attorney, who drove twice to my house, I did sign a contract with the attorney retaining him to pursue a personal injury case.

After that the attorney stopped almost all communications: not responding to emails , phone calls etc,
In 6 months we spoke 2 times over the phone where the attorney was referring to a busy schedule and using it as an excuse to not doing any work on the case. As I understand no legal work was done in pas 6 months. In any event I have no confidence in the attorney

My dilemma now is what to do, since I have to terminate contract with this attorney, and if I find and engage another attorney and the case reaches a conclusion, the first attorney can place a lien against settlement.

My question is : should I end the contract without an adverse impact? should I file a ethics complain against the attorney? Should I, can I bring a claim against him? And how do I go about it and what’s involved?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">