• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance payment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markivan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

A few years back, in 2008, i was involved in an auto accident where i struck another car from the rear on the highway. I nor the other driver had any serious injuries at the scene. My car was unsafe to drive afterwards and scrapped but oh well, thems the breaks.

I was a Wisconsin driver at the time and by their law, was not required to have insurance. The accident happened in Ohio not long after i moved. Went to court, admitted fault and set something up with her insurance for payments to her. Came out to about 7000.00 in damages. Was jobless at the time, the account went to collections (i think, because i don't recall this company being the original company that made contact with me, plus it WAS about a year before i could make arrangements) and i'm 2 payments away from being done with it.

I've heard that someone that was in a accident can add onto their claim within a given amount of time if their insurance company approves. Wanted to know...

1. When i finish paying this, can the ins. company attack me again for damages even after the matter is settled?

2. IF i were subject to new claims, i don't think i would be able to call upon my current insurance to cover it. Am i right?

ecmst12

There would be no reason for them to add anything on to the claim. They made payment to the other guy 2 years ago, they wouldn't have started pursuing you for collection until they were settled with their insured.

No, an insurance policy will not pay for anything that happened before you bought the policy. Glad you figured out that it's cheaper to have insurance then not have it though!

markivan

yeah, a expensive lesson, but a lesson learned nonetheless. Just wanted to know if karma would pop up and i'd get another claim for some more money. Heh, accident happened 2 days before christmas too.

Thanks though for the info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">