• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying For Traffic Ticket Online (San Diego, CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twilite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello All!

I am trying to pay my speeding ticket (violation 22349A) online using the Superior Court of San Diego's website.
The amount of my fine is $346. The website provides me with 3 options:

1. Pay $346.00 to settle your case.
2. Request a one-time 30 day extension of the appearance date
3. Pay $398.00 and request Traffic School.

I am confused and have a couple questions.

- If I choose option 1 does that mean I will never have the chance to attend traffic school? (In other words I have to make the decision now.)

- Does option 3 imply that the costs for traffic school alone is $398!? Or does the $398 pay the fine ("settle the case") and cover the cost of traffic school?

I would rather just pay the fine now then find and pay for traffic school later but I don't know if that's possible given the confusing wording of my options.

:confused:

Also, the letter I got from the San Diego Superior Court states that "[if you go to traffic school] the violation22349A will be dismissed and no points will be added to your DMV record."

- Does this mean that I won't even have a violation on my court record (i.e. it will be "expunged").

The police officer told me when I was getting the ticket that that I could go to traffic school to remove the points from DMV but he said nothing about dismissing the violation entirely.

Thank you very much!

Twilite

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

- If I choose option 1 does that mean I will never have the chance to attend traffic school? (In other words I have to make the decision now.)
Well, if you choose option (1) and make the $346 paymeny, your case will be settled and subsequently closed. So if you want to take the traffic school option then you should choose option (3).

- Does option 3 imply that the costs for traffic school alone is $398!? Or does the $398 pay the fine ("settle the case") and cover the cost of traffic school?
When you elect the traffic school option you are paying the fine amount of $346 PLUS the traffic school administrative fee of $52 for a total of $398.

You will still have to pay the traffic school enrollment fee which will run you anywhere from $15 and up depending on which particular school you decide to enroll in.

I would rather just pay the fine now then find and pay for traffic school later but I don't know if that's possible given the confusing wording of my options.
Then choose option 2, take the 30 day extension, save up the full amount, then when you have all your money, go back on line and pay the full amount!

Also, the letter I got from the San Diego Superior Court states that "[if you go to traffic school] the violation22349A will be dismissed and no points will be added to your DMV record."

- Does this mean that I won't even have a violation on my court record (i.e. it will be "expunged").

The police officer told me when I was getting the ticket that that I could go to traffic school to remove the points from DMV but he said nothing about dismissing the violation entirely.
When you take the traffic school option, successfully complete the program and submit the completion certificate in a timely manner, then the violation is still reported to the DMV as a "dismissed citation" and no points are added to your driving record. So while the DMV is aware that you were cited, and that you took the traffic school option, the citation is not disclosed upon request... In other words, it does not appear on your driving record which can be usually viewed by your insurer.

Last edited:

twilite

wow thanks for all the responses!!!!!!

If I choose option 3 am i essentially enrolling in the traffic school provided by the court? I thought there were like 100s to choose from online.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

wow thanks for all the responses!!!!!!

If I choose option 3 am i essentially enrolling in the traffic school provided by the court? I thought there were like 100s to choose from online.
When you choose that option and pay the full amount, the court will mail the information which will include a listing of all the approved traffic schools that you can choose from.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">