• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will License from Different State Affect Points?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QSEQB6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I've gotten 2 tickets thus far this year, both of them I paid and didn't go to school. If I move to a different state, by the time I renew my auto insurance, can I say that I don't have any ticket in the new state? Or do the points stay with me no matter where I go? Thanks in advance.

FlyingRon

In most states your DL points have absolutely NO BEARING on your insurance. The insurance company is informed of every ticket and obviously knows about accident claims (both by you and against you) and most have their own scoring for how to set your rate. There are exceptions, NC has a mandated scoring of points that while different from what the DMV uses to decide to suspend your license, etc.... mandates your insurance surcharges.

In most cases the best you could hope for is that a ticket might get lost in the paperwork shuffle if you changed licenses and insurers at the same time, but even that's a real stretch.

Maestro64

Actually the only way an insurance company finds out about a ticket is if they check your DMV record or you tell them. Unless you live in Massachusetts, where the state automatically report any tickets you have to your insurance company.

The problem you will have is this, when you change states and then change insurance, your new insurance company will asks how long have you had your license in the new state and if it less than so many years they will asked where you were licensed before and when you tell them they will check your DMV record at that state so they will find out even though the ticket or points do not transfer from state to state.

As Flyingron point out is if somehow you can make the change before the state you got the tickets in process all the paperwork and get it posted before the insurance companies does its check.

Also, tell an insurance company you have no tickets and they find them will actually count against you, usually it just better to come clean up front.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">