• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got speeding ticket in VA: do points transfer to MD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ilyaz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I received a "73 in 55" speeding ticket in Hampton, VA the other day. Law section is listed as 46.2.870. The prepaid fine is $164 and I assume there will be some points for this as well.

Q1: Will the points transfer from VA to MD?
Q2: Even if they do not transfer, will I still get this violation on my MD driving record if I simply mail in the payment?
Q3: If I do go to court and plea anything OTHER than "not guilty", is there any way to keep this violation off my record?

Thanks.

FlyingRon

The violation will be reported on your MD driving record, but Maryland will not assess points for a simple speeding (46.2.270). If the judge is inclined to do so, he can defer your case in favor of you completing an approved driving driver improvement program class.

ilyaz

The violation will be reported on your MD driving record, but Maryland will not assess points for a simple speeding (46.2.270). If the judge is inclined to do so, he can defer your case in favor of you completing an approved driving driver improvement program class.
So that would be a VA judge, right? That would require me to go to court which means I will lose a whole day. Do you know if I can do something here in MD without going to VA (like a class) to avoid having this on my record?

FlyingRon

Speeding tickets usually are a prepay option (should be that box checked and you call the court involved to get the payment info and amount). However, if you want the driver school option, you will have to go to court (or have a lawyer do it for you). That can only be approved by the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">