• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

61 in a 60 zone - by pacing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

southsiser

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Got ticket for 61 MPH in a 60 zone.

Officer said he paced me.

Anyone have the method for pacing that I can use?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You want to start pacing people too?

Pacing is simply following behind (or in front of) another vehicle of interest at a fixed separation. Your speedometer will indicate your speed and the other vehicle's speed. It's pretty much common sense.

HighwayMan

Writing someone for 1 over is pretty lame, by the way. I know things may be different in other states, but it's hard to imagine a judge even entertaining this.

I wouldn't bother unless a violator was at least 15 over. But that's me.

S

southsiser

to "highway man"

I understand that, but there must be a written method .. since its a freaking 1 MPH over (yup 1 MPH over, those IN cops must have their quotas) a written method may say how it is to be done properly & maybe say its good for plus or minus 1 . I do not want to look like an idiot in front of the judge.

Antigone*

You guys this is SuperLitigator, NeverWrong. Mr. I-am-rubber-you-are-glue is just yanking everyone's chain.

His six posts have contained pure jibberish. He has been reported to the moderator and will be gone shortly.

You Are Guilty

Your speedometer is +/-5mph from the factory. 1mph is well within the margin of error and you might not even have to argue that point once the judge sees the actual mph that is being claimed.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.82

http://knowledge.fhwa.dot.gov/cops/hcx.nsf/discussionDisplay?Open&id=E8D85736EA691E0C8525714900552797&Group=Travel%20Monitoring&tab=DISCUSSION

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29315

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6695

H

hydrocarbon1000

man they are strict in indiana

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Got ticket for 61 MPH in a 60 zone.

Officer said he paced me.

Anyone have the method for pacing that I can use?

Were you driving on the left & slowly passed the cop? I have seen this happen on I-65. If you pass a cop on I65, even doing 1 MPH over, they will pull you over. Especially if you are not the right color. Does not matter what speed you are going either ... you pass them & its a ticket.

You Are Guilty

+/-5mph applies to motor-carrier type vehicles (ie: buses, trucks, etc)
Indeed you are correct. This is one of those things that I've "known" for so long, I never really bothered to review the regs. Now, having gone through all of 49CFR 500, et seq., it does not seem to be codified (at least, not there). Yet the internet is replete with references to the permissible 10% standard. But of course, none have a statutory cite.

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title49/49cfrv6_02_500.html

I'd still wager no judge on the planet is going to uphold a +1mph ticket though :D

Maestro64

Also depending on when the police car was made, the speedometer is probably reading high. All manufactures these days have anywhere from 4% to 8% error high. If you speed it 60 on the dash in reality you real speed is somewhere between 56 and 60. They are doing this to slow people down. If you do not believe this us a good GPS and see what speed it shows and what you car speed shows they are not the same.

To the ops question about procedure, it simple they follow you at some distance and match your speed by simply maintaining the same distance between you and them and then follow you for 3/10 of mile and you have been paced.

Too many time I have seen police try to catch up to someone over a long distance and use the max speed they hit to catch up as the pace speed. It a surprise to them to find out two object going the same speed will never close the distance and they think because they had to go 80 to catch up you had to be going 80 too.

As everyone point out you can easily get this tossed on the simple matter that no car is accurate to 1 mph especially one that has an analog gauge for speed. You should be able to get this tossed as long as you do not even admit you were likely to be over 60MPH. Just make the officer prove that you were going exact 61 and not 60 or even 59 and he better have a calibration cert for that car and the tires better have not change since.

HighwayMan

Also depending on when the police car was made, the speedometer is probably reading high. All manufactures these days have anywhere from 4% to 8% error high.
I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. Where are your facts to back up that claim?

We have alot of our speedometers tested every three weeks and most are dead on accurate with a few understated by 2 mph.

If you do not believe this us a good GPS and see what speed it shows and what you car speed shows they are not the same.
Civilian signal GPS is not accurate enough to trust in getting a dead-accurate speed reading.

The quality of the receiver is not an issue - it's the satellite signal.

DRTDEVL

Find out the ordering spec for that particular department's cruisers. The "calibrated speedometer" within is usually only spec'ed out for +3/-2 mph or a simple +/-3 mph.

This one is too easy to get tossed. You just need the actual specs for reference.

Maestro64

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. Where are your facts to back up that claim?

We have alot of our speedometers tested every three weeks and most are dead on accurate with a few understated by 2 mph.
I like how you always ask for facts but never back your options with facts....

Below is article that talks about today's Speedometers, which are electronic, and with the miracle of software and engineering the Speed the Dash Speedometer show can be programmed to show any speed they want it to show. Most new car today actually maintain two speeds the true speed which is used to calculated miles travel since car warranties are base on this and if this is not accurate everyone would sue the manufacturers for fraud. Then there is the the adjusted speed which the Dash Displaces to the driver. The problem is this, most car have analog Speedometers so it hard to know it it is reading 60 or may 61 or maybe 59. If you have digital gauge then you should know exactly what it is displaying.

Oh this article is from 2002. and I can tell most all car today read lower and your own statement backs that, since most likely NY is using Crownvic a Ford product.

Speedometer Scandal! - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
http://www.accidentreconstruction.com/newsletter/aug08/ECM_SPEED_DATA.pdf
http://www.v3instruments.com/industrial_instruction_sheets/programmable_speedo_odo.pdf
http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Speedometer_Calibration

Lastly, I have an engineer who sits right across from me who use to work for Ford and was responsible for the car computer systems and backed this up that what is displaced is not the actually the real car speed, usually is it slower unless the driver changes tires sizes or does something else to mess with the ratio.

Civilian signal GPS is not accurate enough to trust in getting a dead-accurate speed reading.

The quality of the receiver is not an issue - it's the satellite signal.
Again before you make an uninformed statement they are accurate enough and they are more accurate than you think especially if your receiver contains the SiRFstar III chip set which most receiver built in the last 4 year do. The satellite signal clocks are the most accurate in the world, they get their central time from the atomic clocks based in Colorado.

Here go educate yourself, all the technically specs are there

Welcome to SiRF Technology

If you not capable of understand that, do a simple test. find a section of highway which has exact 1 mile marked off, set your cruise control to 60 by your Speedometer and see what a good GSP with the SiRFStar III receiver in it and notice its speed then as you go past the first mark start a stop watch then when you cross the second mark see how close to 60sec you are, remember reaction time plays in.

Do this again setting your speed to 60 using the GPS and see what happens, more times than not the GPS will be closer.

Just so you understand, the reason civilian GPS are not "accurate" it has nothing to do with speed, it is absolute position which is not accurate. They will not pin point you, and it is not for technically reason but by design, they put in an inherent error into the system. however, the error is the same over time and distance so when calculating speed it is the change in distance over change in time and that is right on.

Last edited:

Antigone*

shoot me a pm w/your email address & I'll shoot it over to you .... as you can see, the cops who troll this board will not actually post one , heck, if they even know how to do it correctly
SuperLitigator, NeverWrong, southsisser, hydrocarbon1000 and now boboconner the names may change but the idiotic rhetoric stays the same.:cool:

You are no contributor to this forum you are just here to yank people's chains

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">