• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eluding police without a speeding ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hydrocarbon1000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I got a ticket for eluding police but was not issued a ticket for speeding.
I'll try to make the story short and w/o too many misspellings :)
I was traveling down a chicago side street at ~2:45am on a sunday, going to get white castle on 95th & cicero, near a hospital in Oak Lawn. I got my burgers and was travleling down a side street, 103rd street, going east, at about 55 MPH (no body, I mean zero people out). Chicago's finest pulls me over, the 22nd precenct so I thought that I would not get any ticket since my father's a fireman in chicago. So, he gave me a ticket for eluding police (I did not see him behind me & his siren was not on "as to not disturb the normal sleeping residents" & I turned down my side street. Is this eluding? He said he was 1/2 block behind me when I made my turn. This is my first ticket and my father will be angry if I am found guilty since his insurance rates would go up (already $1500/yr for me). I am 18.

FlyingRon

No excuse for 55 on the city streets regardless of how many people there are out. You are not above the law just because your father is a firefighter. Even your father is not above the law. You need to look in the rearview mirror from time to time. Your firefighter father can explain that to you as well, fire engines do the same from time to time.

You've got bigger things to worry about than your father's insurance rates. This is a class A misdemeanor and can mean jail time. You need an attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Furthermore, if there was NOBODY around, how is it that a police officer caught you? People officers are "somebody" :cool:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I got a ticket for eluding police but was not issued a ticket for speeding.
I'll try to make the story short and w/o too many misspellings :)
I was traveling down a chicago side street at ~2:45am on a sunday, going to get white castle on 95th & cicero, near a hospital in Oak Lawn. I got my burgers and was travleling down a side street, 103rd street, going east, at about 55 MPH (no body, I mean zero people out). Chicago's finest pulls me over, the 22nd precenct so I thought that I would not get any ticket since my father's a fireman in chicago. So, he gave me a ticket for eluding police (I did not see him behind me & his siren was not on "as to not disturb the normal sleeping residents" & I turned down my side street. Is this eluding? He said he was 1/2 block behind me when I made my turn. This is my first ticket and my father will be angry if I am found guilty since his insurance rates would go up (already $1500/yr for me). I am 18.
**A: were you eating your burgers while driving?

H

hydrocarbon1000

yeah, I saw eating the burgers

**A: were you eating your burgers while driving?
But you shove them in your mouth, I don't even take more than 1 bite. 55 MPH is not that bad for when nobody is there...they are lighted streets.

I pulled over when I saw the lights; are they required to have their sirens on? Especially for an eluding charge?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
White Castle at 2:45am? Yeah, we know what ELSE you were doing. :rolleyes: Be glad all you got was the one ticket.

The officer citing you for eluding and the state charging you with eluding are two different things. Wait and see what the state does and yes you may need a lawyer. What you described is not eluding.

FlyingRon

The officer citing you for eluding and the state charging you with eluding are two different things. Wait and see what the state does and yes you may need a lawyer. What you described is not eluding.
It's pretty much a guarantee that the cite will turn into charges. I bet the next sound he hears is the preliminary hearing. I'd start looking for lawyers now. I agree, that unless he turned down the side street to try to lose the cop, it's probably not going to fit the statute, but they'll need to assert that at the hearing.

Antigone*

People,

This is superlitigator, NeverWrong, southsisser, once again yanking everyone's chain.

The only way to get this person to go away is to stop responding to his idiotic questions and reporting his posts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">