• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Generic name and descrition for an LLC v.s. an accurate/detail name and description?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

switchex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I am about to start an internet sales website, and will be setting up a new LLC.

I would like to know if on my LLC filing application I should enter a generic name such as "mike's enterprise LLC" with a generic description such as "to engage in lawful activity or act for which a company is formed under Maryland Law." ************** or something more detailed such as: "Mike's Remote control Cars LLC) " with description ".. to engage in legal activity to sell and service remote control car toys .... "

Are there pros and cons if I do generic or detailed description? I prefer a generic just i case later i decided to add a second business under the same LLC, let's say a cleaning service, if that's even possible to have 2 totally unrelated biz under the same LLC.

Thanks.

Last edited:

switchex

It makes sense to keep it broad . however I have been looking at some real samples online and most businesses have detailed description, and they were done by lawyers .. so just wondering maybe I am missing something here!!

I already have an LLC setup for my one and only rental property and for that I have a more descriptive description " .. to operate, rent, and manage rental properties ... " ..

I wish i didn't because the website I am trying to setup will be more experimental, and i wish I could set it up under the rental business .. but not sure if it is a good idea since It specifically describes it as operating and managing rental properties ..

tranquility

If you do an act outside of the organizing documents, it could be considered "ultra vires". This means you may not get the protections you seek from the LLC and a plaintiff may get to pierce the corporate veil.

switchex

Tranquility, if one uses a generic description, how can one act outside organizational document? Are are saying using a generic description can cause problems later ?

And just curious to know, is it possible to have a computer consulting company and a cleaning sales and service company under same LLC? if so, what would be the best description for the LCC?

tranquility

You asked the question, I agreed you should stay broad and then you mentioned detailed descriptions and I said why that would be bad.

Tranquility, if one uses a generic description, how can one act outside organizational document? Are are saying using a generic description can cause problems later ?
Please reread the entire thread.

And just curious to know, is it possible to have a computer consulting company and a cleaning sales and service company under same LLC?
Yes.

if so, what would be the best description for the LCC?
To do any legal business?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">