• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Damaged and Personal Items Stolen while Car in Insurance Company's Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greyhound100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I really need help and don't know what to do. My vehicle started smoking and I had to pull over. My insurance company (using emergency road side assist in policy) had tow truck pickup vehicle. Tow truck driver was in a hurry and didn't want to wait with me for rental car co to open and told me that I'd have 24/7 access to my vehicle and things and could retrieve them after I got my rental car because he needed to leave. Went to tow yard and was refused access and treated very nastily. Called the police because all of my belongings were in vehicle as I'd just moved from another state. I called insurance co. who said they'd arrange to have vehicle moved to another tow yard and that they'd call me when the new tow driver was on his way so that I could meet him there to get my things out of the car. I called several times and was told each time that they'd call me when they were on their way. This never happened and the insurance co. didn't know where my car was taken. It took three weeks to get my car back and when I got it back just about all of my belongings were gone, there was damage on the outside, the inside was wet and several items left including seat belts were covered in mold and mildew. Have contacted insurance company to no avail. What can I do? Also, insurance co. said that there was nothing wrong with car when they arranged to return it; however, it was leaking fluid on the tow truck that it was returned on and started smoking and wouldn't move when the driver tried to park it in a parking space. He had to maneuver it with his truck. Again what can I do and what are my options?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Call the police and report the theft, claim your belongings on your homeowners or renters insurance, and the (non mechanical) damage to your vehicle under comprehensive or collision coverage depending which is appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">