• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident and accepting repair bids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KBrast

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I recently was involved in an accident in a parking lot wherein the driver of the other vehicle backed into my vehicle, causing minor cosmetic damage.

The owner of the other vehicle expressed a desire to avoid a claim on his insurance (I assume because his vehicle is covered under his personal business insurance and there might be issues of higher deductibles for him in the future). He has gone so far as to offer to pay for the estimated cost of the repairs directly to me, so that I may choose to either have the repairs made or to keep the money for other uses. I am perfectly amenable to these arrangements.

However, he suggested I take the vehicle to a repair shop of his choosing for an estimate. I did this, but also felt that I should obtain additional estimates, as the first repair shop did not seem very professional.

I obtained another estimate and, since it was higher than the original estimate, I suggested that the amount the other vehicle's owner should pay be the average of the two estimates.

His response was that the lowest estimate is the one always taken. I am not sure that is correct. Can the responsible party dictate arbitrarily which estimate is to be used? I am attempting to both save the at-fault owner from having a claim on his policy and still get reasonable funds to have a quality repair done.

The difference between the two estimates is only about $250.00, meaning that the average of the two estimates will only be about $550.00.

Am I wrong in thinking this is an acceptable solution?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

unless there is some reason you can show the lower estimate is improper, the lower estimate is your damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">