• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a public figure influence a judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mario26

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I live in a small town. My wife had an affair and filed a temporary restraining order to get me out of the house. When we appeared in court she had a friend sitting next to her the whole time. The problem with this friend is she's the mayors daughter and holds a public position in the town herself. I later found an email from my wife insinuating her friend was there to influence the judge. Is this illegal or unethical? What can be done about it?

Last edited:

latigo

. . . I later found an email from my wife insinuating her friend was there to influence the judge. Is this illegal or unethical? What can be done about it?
What can be done about it? Nothing, absolutely nothing. The court gallery frequently includes friends and family members of the litigants so it is no big deal.

Maybe to you it’s a big deal, but not to the judge, who may not have voted for the mayor.

Anyhow the next time you two appear in court you be sure to have first subpoenaed the man/woman your wife had the affair with and let him/her sit by your wife! (Then they can hold each other’s sweaty hand.)

mario26

subpoena wifes lover

That's a great idea. It ended up being dismissed and replaced with a separation agreement. I am still stuck in small town hell, but thanks for your advice. I will do just that if I have anymore trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">