• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Quick Claim Deed After Death in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Walter Middy

Michigan. My father completed a quick claim deed 10 years ago and never filed it. He died last year and a few days before he died he told me where his paperwork was and asked me to take care of business when he died. I filed the quick claim deed when he died. Is the deed valid even though he did not file it before he died ???

justalayman

the grantor doesn't file a deed. The grantee does.

who was the grantee? Was he married at anytime during the ownership of the property?

and, it is a "quit" claim deed.

and, does it comply with all of these requirements:
(a) The name of each person purporting to execute the instrument is legibly printed, typewritten, or stamped beneath the original signature or mark of the person.

(b) A discrepancy does not exist between the name of each person as printed, typewritten, or stamped beneath their signature and the name as recited in the acknowledgment or jurat on the instrument.

(c) The name of any notary public whose signature appears upon the instrument is legibly printed, typewritten, or stamped upon the instrument immediately beneath the signature of that notary public.

(d) The address of each of the grantees in each deed of conveyance or assignment of real estate, including the street number address if located within territory where street number addresses are in common use, or, if not, the post office address, is legibly printed, typewritten, or stamped on the instrument.

(f) If the instrument is executed after April 1, 1997, each sheet of the instrument complies with all of the following requirements:

(i) Has a margin of unprinted space that is at least 2-1/2 inches at the top of the first page and at least 1/2 inch on all remaining sides of each page.

(ii) Subject to subsection (3), displays on the first line of print on the first page of the instrument a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences.

(iii) Is electronically, mechanically, or hand printed in 10-point type or the equivalent of 10-point type.

(iv) Is legibly printed in black ink on white paper that is not less than 20-pound weight.

(v) Is not less than 8-1/2 inches wide and 11 inches long or more than 8-1/2 inches wide and 14 inches long.

(vi) Contains no attachment that is less than 8-1/2 inches wide and 11 inches long or more than 8-1/2 inches wide and 14 inches long.

Last edited:

nextwife

Also, any intervening liens, judgments, mortgages etc will have priority over the interest of the party to whom he quit claimed..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">