• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Legally Parked Car Was Hit by a Drunk Driver Without Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terryl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I was not there when the accident occurred. When I got there, that guy was already taken to the police station and his car impounded. One of the police officers waited there for me and gave me all the information about that guy. Since I only have basic insurance policy without collision or uninsured motorist coverage, how do I make him pay for my loss?
I researched a bit and someone suggested to call the prosecutor office and tell the prosecutor to make the court order the other party to be responsible for my loss? Should I do that? How can I contact the prosecutor office?

That happened to me and it really bites.
Get more than one estimate if possible and include loss of income or rental fees (even if you are borrowing someones car).
Make it a point to be in court and talk to the DA.
Also ask that you will be notified is when reinstatement is granted. The idiot that totalled my ride tried to turn in a bogus recipt.
It was over 3 years to get paid, but I got it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">