• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run charge in WA – what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seattleitjobs

Hi there,

The incident happened on the intersection that has two lanes in both directions and a middle turning lane. It was red light on the left turning lane and I had stopped. There were four cars in front of me. The light turned green and the second car in the row in front of me was not moving. The light turned red, and because I was in a hurry to pick up my daughter, I decided to try to go around the car in front of me and proceed straight as the light for the lanes going straight was still green. As I was trying to go around the car in front of me, I barely touched the passenger’s rear side of the car in front of me with my driver’s side front. I could feel I barely touched the car. Then I put it in reverse and returned in my previous standing position in the left turning lane. The lady from the car in front of me came out from the car asking, “Are you serious?”, implying, why are you trying to go around me in such a tight space.

We agreed that we’ll pull out on the side and exchange the insurance information. Then we waited for the next green light; the light tuned green again, and the car mentioned above did not move again. I was in a hurry to pick up my daughter, and at that moment, I believed I did not cause any damage to her car, so I don’t need to exchange information with the lady. Once she dusts off her car, there would be no damage. By that time cars that were behind me already left (proceeded straight), so I had more room, I put my car in reverse, created more room to go around the car in front of me, and proceeded straight though the green light.

When I came back home, after picking up my daughter, the policeman was waiting for me. He instructed me that what I have done is a criminal offense, and charged me with hit and run attended. Now I have to go for a hearing scheduled on 9/15/10.

Once I came back home, looked at my car, I found out that there was minor damage to my car: there were two small “dots” of damage on the front bumper.

I was charged with code SMC 11.56.420 Hit and run (attended) -- Duty in case of accident with occupied vehicle in WA state.

I have a hearing next week.

Should I plead guilty?

What may happen in the worst and best case?

Any suggestion is welcomed!

Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Make sure your insurance is taking care of her damage and hope the court has mercy on you. What you did was stupid and wrong.

seattleitjobs

Yes I did.
Her car has already been fixed; the damage was around $400 on her car and around $200 on mine, very small claims.
The question is, what kind of punishment can I get?
I have a clean driving and criminal records, have never been in front of the judge.
My preference is not to have a criminal record nor go to jail.

I talked to a few lawyers and they want around $3,000 to represent me. Is it worth it?

seattleitjobs

I understand and agree that this was stupid and wrong. Everyone makes mistakes sometime and this is the first serious one I have made in 37 years.
What do I do now?

tammy8

Not sure in your state but in mine, that is 4 insurance points (driver license and insurance are different so not sure on that one) and a major hit to your insurance making you unlikely to qualify for a low risk policy for atleast 5 yrs(again in my state).

However you might be able to go to court and present a letter from your insurance company showing that all damages have been paid and everyone has been indemnified(sorry not sure of the spelling of that word LOL) then a judge may have mercy on you and let you plea down.

Hope you learned your lesson.

racer72

Washington does not have a point system for driver's licenses. Only a judge, not the state, can place restrictions and penalties against one's driving privelige.

You were charged with a Seattle ordinance, not a state law. I'm not sure how Seattle reports violations to the state. I couldn't find any penalty wording in the SMC, you may want to talk to a local attorney to discuss the possible outcome of such a violation.

FlyingRon

Not sure in your state but in mine, that is 4 insurance points (driver license and insurance are different so not sure on that one) and a major hit to your insurance making you unlikely to qualify for a low risk policy for atleast 5 yrs(again in my state).
Insurance points are pretty unique to NC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">