• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guaranteed repairs had to be redone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minualwen

Texas. A "good samaritan" offered to help me with my car a few weeks ago when it was acting up. When he couldn't do it on site, he offered to repair it at his shop, saying how he was always trying to "help out the young folks". He ended up charging me $150 to put a belt on and tighten a pulley. I paid for the belt. It had already been purchased. He never took it to his shop. He repaired it at AutoZone where I met him. He said I could pay him when I got my next check "or whenever". He never gave me a receipt or anything on paper. I mailed the check. He was pissed when snail mail didn't work like email. He ended up harassing me, which is a separate issue for which I have spoken to the police. During one of his harassing phone calls, he stated that he didn't even care about the check that had not arrived yet. I told him that instead of him sending his wife to my work to get a second check, I would cancel the first check and set up a time to meet with them and pay them for labor- since the car broke less than SIX hours after I got it back from him and I'm NOT calling that repairs. He claims that he guarantees all of his work. He was going to charge me $850 and a month to get the car running again after the second break down. I wanted to sell it and not deal with it at that point. After the harassment started, I got curious and took it to my regular shop. My shop charged me $391 and took 2 days to fix it. He finally received the check I told him I cancelled and he tried to put it in the bank. I still have not received a bill and he is saying that he is adding the bounced check charge from his bank to this imaginary bill I have not seen.

It's bad enough that I'm scared to open my front door and answer my phone. If his work is guaranteed and EVERYTHING he touched has had to be repaired since, do I owe him anything??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

Texas. A "good samaritan" offered to help me with my car a few weeks ago when it was acting up. When he couldn't do it on site, he offered to repair it at his shop, saying how he was always trying to "help out the young folks". He ended up charging me $150 to put a belt on and tighten a pulley. I paid for the belt. It had already been purchased. He never took it to his shop. He repaired it at AutoZone where I met him. He said I could pay him when I got my next check "or whenever". He never gave me a receipt or anything on paper. I mailed the check. He was pissed when snail mail didn't work like email. He ended up harassing me, which is a separate issue for which I have spoken to the police. During one of his harassing phone calls, he stated that he didn't even care about the check that had not arrived yet. I told him that instead of him sending his wife to my work to get a second check, I would cancel the first check and set up a time to meet with them and pay them for labor- since the car broke less than SIX hours after I got it back from him and I'm NOT calling that repairs. He claims that he guarantees all of his work. He was going to charge me $850 and a month to get the car running again after the second break down. I wanted to sell it and not deal with it at that point. After the harassment started, I got curious and took it to my regular shop. My shop charged me $391 and took 2 days to fix it. He finally received the check I told him I cancelled and he tried to put it in the bank. I still have not received a bill and he is saying that he is adding the bounced check charge from his bank to this imaginary bill I have not seen.

It's bad enough that I'm scared to open my front door and answer my phone. If his work is guaranteed and EVERYTHING he touched has had to be repaired since, do I owe him anything??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Out of $391.00 how much was the diagnoses.

Were the second repairs similar or the same as the first repairs ?

What exactly did the second shop repair?

justalayman

yes, you do owe him. Along with that you would have a right to sue him for the failed repairs. Stopping payment on a check is a dicey act. You might be getting a visit from the police.

minualwen

to the first reply, 391 was not for diagnosis. It was for parts and labor to redo the repairs he had done .

to the second, I'm aware of how shady it is, however, I told him it was being cancelled and he seemed more concerned with harassing my boss.

I left out most of the harassment stuff, because it's more of a criminal issue and this is a civil issue according to the police who are itching for him to call again so they can pick him up.

Basically, that's what I was thinking, but I keep hearing that I do or don't owe him from different people and wanted an unbiased opinion. Thank you!

minualwen

Just for the record, the check was cancelled because it was lost in the mail. I am only now questioning whether or not I should have ever paid the lunatic.

minualwen

Sorry for posting so many things... ADD brain and all..

The second shop had to redo the repairs the first guy did and they fixed one other thing. He had intended to charge me 850 to fix that one thing and one more thing that did not need to be done. And he wanted 500 up front. That's when I decided I didn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Their fixing the repairs that were initially done cost me less then the initial repairs.

BL

It's bad enough that I'm scared to open my front door and answer my phone. If his work is guaranteed and EVERYTHING he touched has had to be repaired since, do I owe him anything?
Generally if someone guarantees thier work ( being parts and labor ,or just parts ) for a period of time , one would have to offer that someone/Co./Business to fix the issues under guaranty .

Differences in cost vary .

It really would be up to a court to decide .

Since he is harassing and the police may get involved if he calls again ,I would not pay.Then if he takes you to court ,have the court decide.

minualwen

That's what I was thinking I should do. That way, he doesn't get rewarded for harassing me if I'm not legally responsible. Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">