• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CCW Permits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FuZe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I'm just curious, the constitution says: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Isn't the fact that citizens are forced to take a class, and get a permit to carry a concealed weapon a gigantic infringement of that right?

Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont seem to be the only states that realize this?

:confused:

justalayman

no. the Constitution says nothing about the right being without regulation and especially since you are asking about CCW, there is no right given for a CCW at all.

H

hydrocarbon1000

we dont need ccw permits at all

we (people) have had the right to protect ourselfs before the US Constitution was created .. long, long, long time before that

Read the Heller & McDonald decisions ... our right to keep & bear arms is one our our rights that SCOTUS recognized as being a pre-constitutional right - it is a basic human right. The constitution does not give me the right to breath ***** but do I have this right anyway. The gov't does not give us rights; it just recognizes a limited number of them .. we have many more "rights" than people understand. Do we have the right to procreate? To decide how we provide for ourselves? To believe in god or not? etc.

BOR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I'm just curious, the constitution says: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Isn't the fact that citizens are forced to take a class, and get a permit to carry a concealed weapon a gigantic infringement of that right?

Arizona, Alaska, and Vermont seem to be the only states that realize this?

:confused:
I live in Ohio also.

You may have a right to bear arms, as was mentioned, per McDonald, however
the right is not absolute to carry a concealed weapon on ones person or "ready at hand". While state law permits OPEN carry without a permit, no court in any state has ever struck down a concealed statute as being UNconstitutional.

TigerD

Yes. And unless you have millions of dollars you want to waste on legal fees and buying state politicians, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Personally, I'm not opposed to the mandate of a class and I am a CCW holder (in Missouri).

DC

Hot Topic

Who are "the militia?" Is it a reference to the citizens who walk around armed? Should we be calling the police militia? The National Guard? Sheriff's deputies? U.S. Marshalls?

swalsh411

Who are "the militia?" Is it a reference to the citizens who walk around armed? Should we be calling the police militia? The National Guard? Sheriff's deputies? U.S. Marshalls?
According to the many State Constitutions the militia is all able-bodied men of service age. The National Guard and law enforcement are unequivocally NOT included in the framer's definition of militia. (especially considering the natl guard and US Marshalls as we know them didn't exist until 1903 and 1963 respectively)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">