• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BuckyJones

just curious. if someone sells something say on ebay like a dub of a movie that is copyrighted thats illegal. however if someone sells something that is legitimate and not copyrighted but offers copyrighted material as a free gift for the purchase is that illegal?

L

lawrat

Let me give you the 411 on your misinformation.

Copyright automatically attaches once someone creates a movie, a book, a picture. etc. Federal copyright attaches when someone REGISTERS it with the U.S. Copyright Office. However, if someone DOESN'T register it, the copyright is STILL VALID and this person can sue whoever infringes on it by state law, contract law, etc.

B

BuckyJones

thanks for clearing that up but you still didnt answer my question

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">