• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A few years ago i was arrested for marijuana in my car, now i cant get the job i want

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lost1989

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Ok A few years ago i was driving me and a few freinds around in which one had marijuana on them. For whatever reason i took the blame for the drug because i felt it would be more harder on her even tho it wasnt mines, but at the same time my freind said it was hers so we both went to jail a few hours. In the end we never saw a judge,court, convitions, charges or anything but, a few weeks ago i applyed for this job and they sent me a paper threw the mail saying that i had charges, conictions, and or pending chargers. So i begin to call my local police station city and state and court house to see if i had anything as such and they tell me theres nothing there on my record. Im 21 now but this happened when i was around 18, is it possible that i can can still be charge with drugs? And is there a way to prove to furture employeers that i have no record? And could it be the fact that i just got arrest that would disquailfy be from taking care of kids or elderly?

H

hydrocarbon1000

it might, it might not

depends on the company .. they generally only ask for convictions, not arrests - if you wanted to go into a job that required any security clearance then that is another issue ----- sounds like it will not effect your job hunt described

quincy

Apparently it has already affected his job search, hydrocarbon1000 (NeverWrong/SuperLitigator/davidmcbeth/etc?). Re-read what lost1989 wrote.

Lost1989, you can do a Michigan criminal history background check on yourself, through the Michigan State Police ICHAT site, to see if your arrest for possession of marijuana, or any outstanding charges on your marijuana arrest, appear. There is a $10 fee for the search. What will not appear on this background check is warrant information, suppressed records, federal records, tribal records, or any criminal records from another state.

The site is accessed at: http://apps.michigan.gov.ichat/home.aspx.

If you are looking to apply for a job in the education field (or medical, legal, government), an FBI check is generally required. The FBI fingerprint check will reveal all arrests (even those that did not result in charges) and charges (even those that were later dismissed) and convictions (even those that are sealed or expunged).

After accessing your records, if you see that errors appear, you can correct these errors at their source. With knowledge of what may appear on a background check, you can be prepared to point out and explain these errors to potential employers on the applications you submit, until corrections can be made.

As a note: Some background check companies that are used by some employers will have data mined from police and court records before police or court dispositions. Although the background check companies are supposed to correct any false data that appears, records are often not updated to reflect final outcomes of arrests, charges or convictions. In addition, some background check companies will do "name" searches, and if you share a name with someone else, their criminal history may appear on your report.

Last edited:

Dillon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Ok A few years ago i was driving me and a few freinds around in which one had marijuana on them. For whatever reason i took the blame for the drug because i felt it would be more harder on her even tho it wasnt mines, but at the same time my freind said it was hers so we both went to jail a few hours. In the end we never saw a judge,court, convitions, charges or anything but, a few weeks ago i applyed for this job and they sent me a paper threw the mail saying that i had charges, conictions, and or pending chargers. So i begin to call my local police station city and state and court house to see if i had anything as such and they tell me theres nothing there on my record. Im 21 now but this happened when i was around 18, is it possible that i can can still be charge with drugs? And is there a way to prove to furture employeers that i have no record? And could it be the fact that i just got arrest that would disquailfy be from taking care of kids or elderly?
your company made a mistake, have them reverify the backround check and you should be fine. it must be someone else and not you.

CdwJava

Background investigations come in all stripes. It is possible that whatever company that was utilized for this merely found the record of your being arrested. This can be public record and available through the jails or even the local police department.

I suppose it is POSSIBLE that you could still be charged if a felony, but after this amount of time, i cannot imagine that to be the case. Unless you have moved a bunch of times and been on the run so you could not be notified, I doubt any future charges or pending or already awaiting you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">