• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trustie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Ok so I live out here in southern California. I bout a vehicle back in spring for 2000. The owner signed the transfer paperwork and handed me the title. I go to the dmv to register the vehicle and turnsout that there are still fees to be paid so I say ok whatever. Almost $500 paid in dmv fees and then the dmv says now you just need to smog the car before you can register it. Two days later the car doesn't start turns out the fuel pump was clogged. Ok got that fixed but while fixing that they found a relay issue with the car $700 total cost. Got reciepts. I seriously don't want to deal with this car or rather put anymore money into this car. It drives fine after the fix. So I post it up for sale. 2500 asking price. The buyer comes check it out test drives and loves it and wants to buy the car. He and his parents ask is the car smogged I explain to them no it's not I haven't smogged the car I spent over 1000 on dmv fees and relay issues. This car is in good running condition and is being sold as is not smogged. He says ok that's fine. Asks me to drop the price to 2000 flat and he'll buy it. I drop the price to 2000 flat and the car is sold. I sign the transfer forms I got from the dmv and transfer the vehicle to him. I drop off the release of liability form the next day. July 20 2010 I sell him the car. On August 10 I get a call from a lawyer or mediator representing him. The three of us are on the phone three way. He wants his 2000 back and will give me the car back I ask why? The lady representing him says he can't register the car and i sold him a vehicle that didn't belong to me and I didn't provide him with the title. I tell them I gave him all the paper work. He says he doesn't have the title So I say I will double check to see if I have the title then. The lady requested I get send the buyer the title if I find it. I say ok. So I look for the title sure enough I had it. So I call the buyer apologized for not giving him the title I told him I'll send it out the say day. As So as I hang up I get my younger brother to film me placing the title into the envelope and placing it in the mail box, that's that I sent it out to him. As so as I get back from the mailing the envelope I Tried calling the lady but the phone number didn't work said it's not a working number. I call the buyer and tell him I just sent it out in the mail. Now September 10 comes by and I get paperwork saying I'm being sued by the buyer for $3000 for selling him a vehicle that didn't belong to me and didn't provide him with the title. I look at the date the case was filed and it was august 10. Now my question is does he even have a case against me? Any advice for me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, the buyer has a case. You are not allowed to sell a vehicle that you don't hold the title to.

By "hold the title" I mean that it's not titled in your name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">