• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal ownership of car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petelg18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ms. My mom was the sole title holder of her car (2003 Impala). My mom passed away from cancer a few months ago without putting the title in my name (son). I have no proof other than her on an audio tape stateing that she wanted me to have the car. Since moms death no one in the family wants to discuss the matter. In fact, they want to sell it. my dear sister went to the court houseand brought back this Affidavit (Application for Assignment of Title). My father and sister,not wanting to give me moms car,signed the paper. I did not!! My question is: Can my father sell this car without my signiture on the Affidate? Thanks for any advice....Pete

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ms. My mom was the sole title holder of her car (2003 Impala). My mom passed away from cancer a few months ago without putting the title in my name (son). I have no proof other than her on an audio tape stateing that she wanted me to have the car. Since moms death no one in the family wants to discuss the matter. In fact, they want to sell it. my dear sister went to the court houseand brought back this Affidavit (Application for Assignment of Title). My father and sister,not wanting to give me moms car,signed the paper. I did not!! My question is: Can my father sell this car without my signiture on the Affidate? Thanks for any advice....Pete
It's not, nor was it ever, your car.

Kiawah

What does her last written will indicate, and if no will, google 'intestate' in your state.

But remember, some assets go to others as per contract or beneficiary designations. Some assets are then sold, to pay off creditors, and residual estate will be distributed as per will or intestate. All this is done under court supervision thru the probate process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">