• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost my car title...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrruuunnn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

If I lost my car title, do I really need to get a new one? I am not selling the car in the new future.

JustAPal00

You can wait until you go to sell it and apply for a duplicate title then. The downside to doing this depends on who you are selling it too. If the person needs the title right away, they may back out because you can't provide it.

Country Living

It's pretty easy to get a duplicate title. The instructions are on this website. Lost Vehicle Titles

I went to the local office to get mine - they printed it while I was there. I'd recommend doing this in person if there is an office close to you. It's the Department of Transportation - Titling and Registration (not to be confused with Maintenance).

xylene

You probably should do this now.

The fee is always going up. Not down.

Plus there are many circumstances where having proof of ownership is useful, even if not selling a car...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">