• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drag Racing??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaHawkeyes197

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IOWA

So last night I was driving to the same place my friend was going. As he slowed down for the red light i, stupid as i am, looked both ways and ran it. And continued on the way, maybe going 10 mph at the most over. I was pulled over and given a ticket for drag racing. The officer didnt clock me. Only saw me run the red light and had no idea there was another car until i mentioned that i was tryin to beat him. He was a capital police state trooper meaning he patrols the capital building area and it took him at least 30 mins to find something to charge me with. Since when did running a red light turn into drag racing. We werent at a stand still peeling out just ran a red light.

I work in transportation industry, and losing license would cost me a job cuz id be uninsurable. Do i have a chance to win this if i get an attorney??

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Only saw me run the red light and had no idea there was another car until i mentioned that i was tryin to beat him.
Ok, so you were going to get a ticket for blowing through a red light until you volunteered information that you were trying to out-race another car. Sounds like you need to know when to keep your mouth shut.

What exactly were you charged with?

321.278 DRAG RACING PROHIBITED.
No person shall engage in any motor vehicle speed contest or
exhibition of speed on any street or highway of this state and no
person shall aid or abet any motor vehicle speed contest or speed
exhibition on any street or highway of this state, except that a
passenger shall not be considered as aiding and abetting. Motor
vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed are defined as one or
more persons competing in speed in excess of the applicable speed
limit in vehicles on the public streets or highways.
Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be
guilty of a simple misdemeanor.

It appears that this Iowa statute is based on your travelling above the speed limit. So if you went through the light but did not go above the posted limits, you may have a defense. You can also argue that your speeding to get ahead of someone is not drag racing since the other car was not aware of the race, thus eliminating the "contest" portion of the offence.

Since this is a misdemeanor, you may want to get a lawyer to represent you.

FlyingRon

Lucky you didn't get that here. Racing is one of the things that guarantees a few days in the tank here.

HomeGuru

Sounds like you were joking with the cop, right .. right? If I go up to a cop and say I killed someone would I be arrested? Most likely. Would I be found guilty? No, not just based on that, so no. There is your defense.
**A: what? Such nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">