• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone citizen ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mreyes1289

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
My son was i an accident, he was at fault he dropped his drink and hit the car from behind. But the lady wanted the officer to give him a ticket for using the cell phone. Since the officer did not because he stated that he did not see him on phone he could not do it. But she went and put a cell phone and reckless driving tickets. My son swears he was not on phone i pulled the minutes used he was not on. But the time the officer wrote the report out is like 12:52 and he has a call at 12:51 and that was to me to tell me about the accident. What advise can you give us we have a court date of 9/23 now he he is clared of the cell phone ticket does the other ticket get dropped too? Please advise i am so nervous. I am also scared that she will sue she was not injured but since she is being spiteful.

Thanks
Mreyes1289

justalayman

why would any other ticket be dropped. He did run into the person regardless what he was doing with his cellphone. That is reckless driving.

and something you said makes no sense. You say the officer refused to write a cellphone ticket and in the next sentence you say one was written. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There was another thread a few months back about something similar as far as the ticket part is concerned.

I thought CA was a weird state - apparently in NJ a citizen can issue, or cause to be issued, a traffic ticket.

By the way, you don't know for sure if the woman was injured. Many times injuries don't manifest themselves until later on.

justalayman

I thought CA was a weird state - apparently in NJ a citizen can issue, or cause to be issued, a traffic ticket.
that is what I was thinking but it wasn't clear to me as written. If so, that means the other party will have to be present at the court procedures as she is the one making the charges just like with a citizens arrest.

I am also scared that she will sue she was not injured but since she is being spiteful.
as highwayman stated; injuries are not always evident at the time of the accident.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, apparently the complainant has to appear in court and make her case for each violation.

CdwJava

You need to read the entire series of postings ... or simply stop posting replies to my postings .. you are having no effect .. cops always try to coerce people, hahahaha I have been interrogated by better people than you
Perhaps if you wrote "woMAN" (the singular) rather than "women" (the plural) you would not have been misunderstood.

You can apologize to highwayman now.

Oh, and you call an Internet posting an "interrogation?". :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">