• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless driving, 84 in a 40..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mycrimekit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello everyone! This is my first time even considering a forum like this for any advice so I'm hoping for the best to help me out. Please excuse the loooong post..

On 08/23/2010, I received two traffic tickets, both in excess of $500.00. The officers argument was that I was speeding (85 in a 40) and that I was driving recklessly. Apparently, I was pulled over by the police chief of Cumberland, Maryland. The Chief was driving an unmarked silver Cobalt.

I was driving to my first day of college. I started in Cumberland, MD and proceeded to interstate 68 heading east. When I got onto the interstate, I was attempting to merge with the rest of the traffic but it was difficult due to there being several vehicles in the lane I was attempting to merge with. To avoid being forced off the interstate and heading the wrong direction, I had used my turn signal and squeezed between a red Dodge Intrepid or Stratus (I believe). The man driving the Intrepid had slammed on the horn and proceeded to tailgate my vehicle. To avoid being harassed and accidentally being rammed into, I accelerated beyond the posted rate of speed. The man driving the Intrepid had decided to follow suite and accelerate to my speed as well.

When I noticed that I was being chased, it caused me to panic and accelerate well beyond the posted speed limit until the other vehicle had discontinued his chase. I began to slow down heading up the hill on my way to the college when I noticed silver Cobalt (or Malibu) start to tailgate me as well. I believed this Cobalt was either a “friend” of the other driver or an angry driver who had become frustrated with the way I was driving. I noticed it was an older gentleman and it appeared that he was fumbling with his radio, so I felt safe that he was not trying to tailgate me.

(I used to drive another vehicle a few years ago and was rammed into once before and when I attempted to go to the police station, I caught a red light.. Once the vehicle that was chasing me came to a stop behind me, a man stepped out with a blunt object and approached my vehicle. I ended up speeding away. This is the reason I get so freaked out when someone is riding right on my tail and also the reason I use speed to avoid being attacked, rather than going to a police station in the city.)

Part way down the exit ramp, on the way towards the college, I noticed that the man in the silver Cobalt had turned on his 4-way emergency lights. He was still following me closely but it was not apparent that he was a police officer (chief). Eventually I began to hear a siren. Unaware of where the noise was coming from, I ignored it the first time I heard it. The second time I heard the siren, I pulled over, believing it was maybe an ambulance attempting to pass me and the man in the silver Cobalt. When the man in the Cobalt pulled over as well, I began to realize it was a police officer (chief) and realized he may have seen me be chased and was checking on why I was going fast or why I was being chased.

The officer (chief) had asked for my license and registration and I complied with his request. As I fumbled for my registration, I explained to the officer (chief) that I was being chased on my way to the college for my class in Criminal Justice and I had feared being rammed into. The officer (chief) asked who my teacher was so I told him. The officer (chief) had stated that I was lying to him about being chased and they were going to catch my “friend” and that his story would be different. From what I gathered, the officer (chief) believed that I was racing the other vehicle. I don't race.. My car may be loud and look like one of the other teenage racer types, it just happens to be the style of vehicle I like.

I have learned from various stories and situations that the best course of action when talking with an officer of the law, it’s in your best interest to tell the truth. Although I had told the officer (chief) the truth to the fullest extent, he was not satisfied and had decided to give me a citation. He had explained to me that his computer was not working correctly or too slowly so he had called another officer to the scene to assist him. He then walked to my vehicle and explained to me that he was in a hurry and he was going to have the other officer handle writing me the citations. He gave me a final chance to tell him the “truth” and asked if I was aware of how far he was following me for. When I told him I was telling the truth, he acknowledged with a simple response stating that the best thing for me is honesty and that he doesn’t believe me and that he will see me in court.

Finally, the officer (chief) left and the other officer had approached my vehicle. I had jokingly exclaimed that the other officer (chief) had left him to do the “dirty work”, he explained that it was the least of my concerns and that I “had pissed off the chief” and handed me my two tickets.

Lengthy huh? My question is what can I do about this? I've chosen to have my voice heard in court and attempted to get the public defenders assistance but he says it's not an arrestable offence so he can't help me. My problem is that I really don't know what to say in court. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

I almost forgot to mention that I also had a recent speeding violation recently.. It was closer to the beginning of spring where I had been pulled over for doing 72 in a 65. I admitted guilt in court but received a lesser sentence of no points and a sharply decreased fine. Also some other speeding violations when I was a teenager but I'm pretty sure it was more than four years ago. I've also had my license suspended without my knowledge and went to court for it. The judge said he was certain I would have payed it my closest attention if I was aware and let me off with no fine, no arrest or anything. I also had one more ticket where I had expired tags. I was unaware of this and the officer only made the fine $40, of which I paid.

I'm a college student, I work part time, and I live by myself.. I can barely afford to feed myself, let alone pay these fines..

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Are you kidding? The chief of police is going to testify that he clocked you going more than double the speed limit, and you think you are going to have any shot at getting out of the tickets on your own? Beg, borrow or steal, (well, ok, don't steal), but scrape together the money for a lawyer if you don't want to be convicted.

And out of curiosity, what car were you driving that looks like the other "teenage racer types"?

FlyingRon

Let me give you a hint for future situations, if some one tailgates you, the answer is not SPEED UP, especially not beyond the posted or safe limits. Slowing down gives them the opportunity to go around you and even if they don't, it increases reaction times all around in case something else happens.

Your reasoning that your fear of someone attacking on you on foot as justification to proceed at dangerous speeds is unreasonable.

I'd recommend a lawyer. The reckless fine can be up to $1000 (+costs).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Lengthy huh?
Yes - totally unnecessary and very difficult to read.

I'm a college student, I work part time, and I live by myself.. I can barely afford to feed myself, let alone pay these fines..
Based on what you've said about you're driving record, you'll get no sympathy from a court. You are a young driver and your driving career is off to a horrible start. If you don't learn to change your ways you won't have a license.

mycrimekit

So far everyones been a great help :rolleyes:..

I'm 23 years old now and yeah my driving record is pretty terrible but nothing like this before. So far I have the two tickets. One for speeding and one for reckless driving. I got some free advice from an attorney and he says that the courts normally lower the fines and drop the points in cases like this. At least in this area.

I appreciate all the super fun criticism, but I'd rather hear someones opinion of what I should say when I go to court.

mycrimekit

Don't think that will get him too far.
Not far or not, it was really funny..

I've pretty much come up with what I guess I'm going to do.. I've requested a waiver, which will mean I'm admitting guilt but with a reason. When he asks my reason, I have it. If he doesn't believe me, I apologize again and again until he is satisfied that I've learned my lesson. Beg for a lower fine and if at all possible, no points and maybe community service..

I know I was speeding and in my sate of mind at the time, I thought it was a good idea. I didn't call 911 or the local police because I didn't think to do so. I just thought enough to have my foot get really heavy until the person behind me was gone. Hopefully there isn't ever a next time for this to happen again..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">