• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money loaned to buisness.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stupidone_2

New Hampshire, money loaned to out of state business.
I'd like to ask a few questions about promissory notes and the law. Not sure if it belongs here but here goes.
I had a friend that has really let me down. A bunch of us years ago used to go camping together. We all thought this guy was the nicest most generous person.
I let him into my summer home with the understanding that he would work around the house and have a unit of his own. It was his idea.
The problem became he was working on the neighbors homes and letting his crew stay at my house and doing little if anything.
He also promised to replace the windows in the house, and after many months it never came to be,.
Put together a forged recite of the window order. It was really pathetic.

Before my brother and myself asked this gentleman to leave I made the mistake of loaning him a large sum of money.
It was in three payments.

The first I have a promissory note for 120 day note, the second was a verbal conversation to make payroll to his work crew. This was a wire transfer to his business account. The third was another verbal conversation for a new home that he needed funds to get started on. Here he came to my house to show me the plans of the house he was building I wrote a check to his business again. I was in the process of getting central air installed in my house and he claimed he would install the central air for me and to put for central air on the check. No central air was ever installed. This gentleman has a big problem with stories and telling the truth. I foolishly lent him this money before I realized the real person I have been dealing with.

He since sent me a promissory note outside of his business with his own name on it. It has the amount owed, but many N/A's on the document.

It has been years, I have been told he bought land, apartments, building etc…. with the money. This started out as a 120 day note. I am guilty for letting this go on for so long.

I am at the point of hiring an attorney to recoup my losses.

He is from out of state. As I stated, I have a very lame promissory note in his name, outside of his business.
I also have the checks I paid to his business.

I recently told him I need this money back, he could pay me 9K a year of the amount of years it will take for him to repay me. Interest free now. I'm am trying to make something work.

He claims he is selling the property we own together and that the buyer has 90 days to pay. I know in 90 days another story will arise. Just another way to sting me along again.

I am afraid he will file bankruptcy or find a way to avoid paying me back. He has been stringing me on for years.

Is there anything legally that can be done? I am embarrassed to even mention how much he owes me.

Thank you for any insight you might be able to shed on my issue here.

justalayman

how long ago did you make the loans?

how long ago did you get this promissory note?

How was his business structured?

What is the current status of the business?

Was all of the debt included in the promissory note?

stupidone_2

Let's see.

Almost 5 years for the first PN.
Maybe 2.5 for the last, the one lacking detail.
I have many emails to back this up.
It's just a contruction company, not sure how sturcted. It's located in RI.

All the debt is stated on the last PN. That one is in his name and was issued maybe 2.5 years ago.

As I stated he keeps string me along for months at a time. I still hoped he would come through, but enough is enough.

justalayman

so, it sounds like it's time to sue the guy. From what you have said about the amount, it exceeds the limits of small claims court so unless you are comfortable in court, sounds like it's time to start looking for a lawyer.

stupidone_2

I agree.

I have been wanting to post something out here for awhile.

I have recordings he's left on my answering machine, tons of emails.
Unfortunately he's a pathological lair.

This was my inheritance from losing my parents too, which really hurts. I was taken advantage of at a bad time.
I apologize for not having the specifics, but the notes are in my safety deposit box at my bank. I just wanted to get something started.

I thank you for the replies and your advice, deep down I knew the answers to my questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">