• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance during Chapter 13

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Turfman99

I filed Chapter 13 in Ohio during April 2010. The Case was confirmed July 2010 My Grandmother unexpectantly died in Arkansas in late August. My Sister and I were listed in the Will to inherit her house. The probate court just got the filing last week because we were not listed on the deed. I will have to disclose this to the Chapter 13 trustee upon completion of the probate transfer (Approx 4-6 months). My Mother is the executor of the estate. Can she create a "spendthrift" trust to control my 1/2 of the assetts until my chapter 13 case is discharged in approx. 4.5 years. We want to try and protect the assetts for our childrens future college costs if at all possible. Could this be legally done or are there any better alternatives?

Thank You

xylene

Your mother need to contact a lawyer immediately to protect the assets.

It is not a do-it-yourself job.

There is not a really easy answer, this impacts the estate and your bankruptcy, 2 things that should be handled well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">