• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liquor laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlc773

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC --- ABC laws apply here. I live in a Community with four golf courses and several club related restaurants that have ABC permits. We were told "Birdie Bottles" or any liquor brought from home for consumption on the golf course is illegal. Any truth to this?

swalsh411

Why don't you ask the person who told you to cite the law? Or it may just be course policy, which as private property they have the right to do.

xylene

Generally speaking, an on premise ABC service permit does not allow consumption of alcohol excepting that sold by the licensee.

Of course there is no reason why, on a golf course with its rules of polite decorum, that discrete private consumption should ever be so noticeable or out of hand that this issue would come up.

Which leads to the question of how this came up?

jlc773

The general manager of the four golf courses and restaurants announced this at a meeting recently. Stating if we consummed liquor not purchased through the clubs , the clubs could lose their ABC permit since the restaurants and golf courses are all tied together. I was just wondering if this is really true or if he is just trying to force us to buy their liquor.

xylene

The general manager of the four golf courses and restaurants announced this at a meeting recently. Stating if we consummed liquor not purchased through the clubs , the clubs could lose their ABC permit since the restaurants and golf courses are all tied together. I was just wondering if this is really true or if he is just trying to force us to buy their liquor.
What he said is true. I answered that.

However the ABC is not just shutting down golf courses because little old men are taking a nip from their hip flask. That isn't true.

If there is out of control drunkenness on the course, and especially if it is because of BYO...

Yeah, that is not a made up problem for the the license holders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">