• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take the car if my name is on the title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jegilbert

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Ok short story, I bought a car for my daughter when she turned 16. I paid $200 and put the title in both our names so that it could be passed to my son when he turned 16. The title is her name OR me. Recently she has gotten into the wrong crowd and is being pulled over and watched by the police for drugs. Can I legally take the car since I have the title?? I'm sure a lot of you won't agree, but she is now married and has left both her children with her husband to run off with this crowd.. I believe in tough love and have never had to worry about her until now..... Any comments are appreciated...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Ok short story, I bought a car for my daughter when she turned 16. I paid $200 and put the title in both our names so that it could be passed to my son when he turned 16. The title is her name OR me. Recently she has gotten into the wrong crowd and is being pulled over and watched by the police for drugs. Can I legally take the car since I have the title?? I'm sure a lot of you won't agree, but she is now married and has left both her children with her husband to run off with this crowd.. I believe in tough love and have never had to worry about her until now..... Any comments are appreciated...
You would have no problems, from a "criminal" standpoint in taking YOUR car. It *may* open you up to civil action by your daughter...

jegilbert

Thanks

Thanks for that quick reply. I'm sure that we will have a lot of problems following my taking the car back but as for legal issues with her- she has no one to turn to but me.. I'm really just hoping this will get her to see the error of her ways and straighten up for her children.... Thanks again..

ecmst12

She's an adult now....get your name off the title so that you can't be dragged into anything that may happen and let her learn her own lessons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">