• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Toxic fumes inside my work building and management and safety do nothing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iheartartdeco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

There is work being done on the roof of our building so the workers are using tar and a chemical that smelled like acetone. This started yesterday (September 15) and continued throughout the day today (September 16). People at work were complaining of headaches, sore throats, burning eyes, nausea, and dizziness including myself. We complained to management yesterday and found out that they, along with the safety group, did not know what chemical the workers were using because an MSDS was not present.
Today, we found out that the workers did not have a permit to work on our building (we are a city building and the code compliance department is in the same building) and they still did not have an MSDS. Our safety person claimed it would be coming in tomorrow, but workers were still complaining of those symptoms. The director of the department released a statement around 4 today stating that they investigated the fumes and deemed them not dangerous.
I know for a fact that they did not know what chemical it was because an hour later, the safety person BROUGHT THE CHEMICAL INTO THE OFFICE and announced what chemical it was. It's called Firestone Ultraply Bonding Adhesive and it took me a minute to look it up on Google. Turns out, it causes the exact symptoms I described and was highly toxic if applied in weather above 90 degrees. It was 95 today.
Hours later I still have these symptoms and am pretty lost as to how to complain about this. I went to the health department, OSHA, and the air quality folks and we got absolutely no answer as to what to do. My management clearly was not concerned as well as the safety team as it took them TWO DAYS to find out what the chemical was, instead of just going up and asking the workers.
Can I take legal action? How can I get this resolved? I and along with other workers went home tonight feeling so incredibly sick. I don't know if I can go back tomorrow. Any advice as to where to turn to?

justalayman

I can't find the claim of the temp. warning anywhere.

per the MSDS sheet, the health level is 2. Temporary or minor injury may occur.

The ingredients of concern are toluene, hexane, and acetone.

How can I get this resolved?
although you stated you got no action from OSHA, have you actually filed a complaint with them? If not, that is the action I would suggest.

How To File A Complaint With OSHA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">