• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my grandmothers will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrJonesmay1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

A court in virginia says that we must have the original will. We cannot find it and have looked for it. What can we do?

anteater

I don't know Virginia specifically...

Most states allow a copy of a will to be admitted if there is clear and convincing evidence that it is an accurate copy of the deceased's final will. Understandably, it takes some pretty good evidence to convince the court, but it is possible (in most states).

Do you know if grandmother used an attorney to prepare the will, and, if so, have you contacted that attorney? Did she regularly use an attorney?

If there are no accurate copies available and assuming that there is no prior valid will, then I don't see any alternative to filing to open the estate under intestacy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">