• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exceeding speed limit given conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtb1987

North Carolina

Hello,

I was in an accident for which I was at fault - I was issued a ticket that stated I was exceeding the speed limit given the conditions (rain).

I'm in Durham, NC - What are my options? If I get a traffic lawyer, will they prevent me from receiving insurance points? Or only driver points? If they are only going to prevent me from getting driver points - would I better off just going and talking to the DA about dismissing the ticket, given I have a statement from my insurance stating that they are paying for all damages? This is the first accident I have been in where I have been at fault and was issued a ticket.

Thank you for any help.

North Carolina

Hello,

I was in an accident for which I was at fault - I was issued a ticket that stated I was exceeding the speed limit given the conditions (rain).

I'm in Durham, NC - What are my options? If I get a traffic lawyer, will they prevent me from receiving insurance points? Or only driver points? If they are only going to prevent me from getting driver points - would I better off just going and talking to the DA about dismissing the ticket, given I have a statement from my insurance stating that they are paying for all damages? This is the first accident I have been in where I have been at fault and was issued a ticket.

Thank you for any help.
I would not think that the DA is going to care that you paid all the damages (your supposed to, right). Points on license=points on insurance. No points on license = no pts on ins. You insurance agent should be able to tell you what impact the accident & ticket would do on your rates (for some 1 incident it's nothin for others just the accident will cause your rates to go up). As far as the ticket for speeding was, did you tell the police your speed? Did they witness you speeding? Did you talk to the police at all? If you told the police your speed then you may be doomed as its basically a confession unless you can show that the speed was not excessive. Your only hopes would be for a pfj or talking with the DA (unlikely to help).

The Occultist

Points on license=points on insurance.No points on license = no pts on ins.
This is not necessarily true. Insurance companies operate on their own point system, and there are some companies out there that will still hold a moving violation against you, even if you points were applied to the license.

As far as the ticket for speeding was, did you tell the police your speed? Did they witness you speeding? Did you talk to the police at all? If you told the police your speed then you may be doomed as its basically a confession unless you can show that the speed was not excessive.
This is also not necessarily true. Your actual speed is not truly relevant as the collision is evidence that your speed was unreasonable, i.e. had you been traveling at a reasonable speed, you would not have had that accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">