• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My first accident ever

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GonSo

Hi all,

I regret to inform you guys that today my wife was involved in our first car accident. She was driving in downtown Houston tx to pick me up to go for lunch when the car in the middle lane suddenly and without signaling turned left causing a front to side collision.
My car, a 1997 Toyota Avalon XLS ( impecable for the age and many extras for the time) had the front right Axel twisted and god knows what else, so it had to be towed away to a free depot. My wife was taken to hospital by ambulance with pain in the neck and knee ( she had surgery 3 years ago on ligaments and hurt before but now it was swollen and hurted more). She was all shacky and nervous and very scared. I run from work to the accident site (10 min run from work) and went with her to hospital. After a couple of hours, she got Valium, x rayed etc... doctor told her take pills for headache and pain, to go home, rest and not to go to work on Monday. I talked with the other insurance and they accepted the claim and booked for us a car rental. Fine until here.
The problem is that the guy over the phone suggested that the repair might be more expensive thin the car so he will call. What shall I do now? The car is in very very good condition, brand new tires, $2000 recent in repairs and new stuff for inspection...etc the price on blue book is low compared to what everyone sells the car for. My doubt is what can I claim for? I don't want to lie so we told them that the knee problem existed previously but we won't be able to know until a long term if she can come again to the gym for example. Also how to mention the money we lost on missing work, drugs,... Medical bills were under my insurance but I guess they will transfer that to their insurance will be able to get anything from that? The other driver obviously admitted mistake so it's obviously not our fault.
What do we do next? Wait for them to give us a figure o called them with what we think? What could be a good reasonable figure?

Thank you so much.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

GonSo

Please, excuse my bad explanation.I would like to know (because I would like to have a similar car to the one I had before) what can we claim from the situation I just explained.

cyjeff

You can claim the value of the car plus any medical and other expenses.

If you are asking how you get more for your car than the blue book value, you can't.

ecmst12

Your car is not worth as much as you think it is. It's 13 years old and probably high mileage, that's just not going to be worth that much. Recent maintenence does not add value to the car, that's normal stuff that you'd have to do to keep it running.

Your wife should not even be THINKING about settling for her injuries right now. She can't settle until treatment is complete, and right now it's barely begun.

GonSo

Thanks for your replies. Lucky for us my wife is better and for now won't need chiropractic or anything. Maybe an MRI for her knee.
Whilst at the hospital the other party insurer called us and insisted talking to my wife. She was under the effect of drugs (Valium and some other) and she mentioned that she was feeling better but shaky and that she had knee surgery years ago and started hurting a bit this year and after the accident it was swollen (would they use that statement for us to pay de MRI?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">