• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Stop sign caused crash.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmspi5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

My husband was hit (t-boned), the driver of the car that hit him failed to stop where a stop sign was but at the time of the accident it was not posted. It was missing. Is there a way to find out if it was reported missing before the accident?

My husband and his passenger are ok for the most part. The passenger hit the windshield after the impact which sent my husband's car over a curb, took out a firehydrant and a small tree. The car is mostlikely totalled.

Any advice about the stop sign?

Thank you,
dmspi5

ecmst12

You should report the missing sign to the city so they can repair. The other driver will still *likely* be found at fault since your husband was already in the intersection when the other vehicle approached. File a claim with his insurance and hope for the best. However if he has collision coverage on his OWN insurance, that will probably provide a faster resolution.

dmspi5

The other driver

Unfortunately, he was uninsured, driving on a suspended license, had borrowed tags on the car and to top it off the car didn't belong to him. He went to jail and was out the next morning.

dmspi5

Were there stop markings on the ground for the other driver?
When I arrived at the scene there were three officers all talking to the driver that hit my husband, I didn't notice any markings (skid) in the road. We took pics of the intersection and of the sign missing. The stop sign was replaced sometime between when we all left the scene and 7:30am the next morning.

ecmst12

If the OWNER of the vehicle had insurance, it should cover unless the car was stolen. Do you have collision or uninsured motorist coverage?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When I arrived at the scene there were three officers all talking to the driver that hit my husband, I didn't notice any markings (skid) in the road. We took pics of the intersection and of the sign missing. The stop sign was replaced sometime between when we all left the scene and 7:30am the next morning.
Were there markings stating STOP on the ground? Painted markings...

Banned_Princess

yes, like a line on the ground. or 3 other stop signs that say "4 way stop" or even a stop sign on the other side of the street in the opposite direction?

If this car had false tags, I'm sure the actual owner is not insured either.

dmspi5

yes, like a line on the ground. or 3 other stop signs that say "4 way stop" or even a stop sign on the other side of the street in the opposite direction?

If this car had false tags, I'm sure the actual owner is not insured either.
Yes, there was a stop sign on the other side of the street.

dmspi5

I did property records searches for both the driver and the said owner of the car, there were none.

I am leaning toward if the car had borrowed tags on it, the owner doesn't have insurance either.

Banned_Princess

I did property records searches for both the driver and the said owner of the car, there were none.

I am leaning toward if the car had borrowed tags on it, the owner doesn't have insurance either.
So your insurance will cover it, done and easy.

or

you could sue the driver as he was arrested, get a judgement and probably never be paid.

dmspi5

I am concerned more with the length of time the stop sign was missing and if a report was ever called in to state that is was missing.

My husband went door to door in the neighborhood and no one noticed that it was missing, mostly because they don't travel from that direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">