• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Towed for Non-Licensed Driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strusins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I let my handyman drive my truck to the hardware store for parts... i knew he didn't have a license. I figured they might tow if he got pulled over, but, I did it anyway. They did pull him over, and they did tow. and according to my research (which I wish I'd done beforehand) they can hold the truck for 30 days at $48/day (plus tow fees). Wow! I thought it would just be the cost of the tow!

So, I did read the statue on the internet, and there do seem to be reasons to release a vehicle back before the 30 days is up--problem is I don't think I qualify for any of the exemptions. I think I'm going to be pleading for mercy and in this day and age, it's unlikely I'll get it.

handyman lost license years ago due to a dui. no chance he'll get his license back this week.

Any ideas? Anybody familiar with City of Sac procedures in this type of matter?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I let my handyman drive my truck to the hardware store for parts... i knew he didn't have a license. I figured they might tow if he got pulled over, but, I did it anyway. They did pull him over, and they did tow. and according to my research (which I wish I'd done beforehand) they can hold the truck for 30 days at $48/day (plus tow fees). Wow! I thought it would just be the cost of the tow!

So, I did read the statue on the internet, and there do seem to be reasons to release a vehicle back before the 30 days is up--problem is I don't think I qualify for any of the exemptions. I think I'm going to be pleading for mercy and in this day and age, it's unlikely I'll get it.

handyman lost license years ago due to a dui. no chance he'll get his license back this week.

So you KNOWINGLY unleashed an unlicensed drunk driver on to the street in your vehicle? Really?

It's not a matter of "this day and age" when it comes to mercy...it's a matter of the punishment fitting the "crime" (so to speak).

I_Got_Banned

You need to contact the law enforcement agency that ordered the impound and request a hearing (if I recall correctly, that must be done within 10 days of when it was ordered to be towed.

I don't know whether you can convince them to release the vehicle prior to the expiration of the 30 days, but its worth the try.

Sorry I can't offer more info.. I'm posting from my phone which makes it difficult to look up the related vehicle code sections.

CourtClerk

FYI... I reported the OP's last post because he has potty mouth.

However, it should be noted that in his response, he admitted to lying to the police and telling them the vehicle was stolen by the handy man. So... I forsee a civil suit in the near future - and a criminal complaint filed for filing a false police report.

CdwJava

I let my handyman drive my truck to the hardware store for parts... i knew he didn't have a license.
Then you committed a misdemeanor crime in CA.

I figured they might tow if he got pulled over, but, I did it anyway.
You gambled and lost.

They did pull him over, and they did tow. and according to my research (which I wish I'd done beforehand) they can hold the truck for 30 days at $48/day (plus tow fees). Wow! I thought it would just be the cost of the tow!
You also forgot a release fee from the agency, the hook and tow fee from the tow company, and a total cost of about $2,000 by the end. Oh, and the criminal citation to the driver and, quite possibly, for you as well.

You are correct.

In fact, if you came in to my office for the hearing, you would leave with a misdemeanor citation.

You have a right to ask for the post storage hearing within 10 days of the tow. They have 48 hours (two business days) to schedule it. You have articulated no reason that would lawfully require them to release the vehicle before the 30 day impound is up. So, you have a right to the hearing, but you will almost certainly lose, and you might well end up arrested or cited if you go in. Your call.

CourtClerk

You have a right to ask for the post storage hearing within 10 days of the tow. They have 48 hours (two business days) to schedule it. You have articulated no reason that would lawfully require them to release the vehicle before the 30 day impound is up. So, you have a right to the hearing, but you will almost certainly lose, and you might well end up arrested or cited if you go in. Your call.
He "claims" that he got the vehicle back already by telling the PD that the vehicle was stolen...

How true that actually is... I don't know.

justalayman

He "claims" that he got the vehicle back already by telling the PD that the vehicle was stolen...
Carl, which is worse;

the giving permission to use the truck or filing a false police report.

Sounds like the OP isn't going to win no matter which way he goes.

and I wouldn't be surprised to read about a handyman that beat the crap out of his boss for getting him arrested for GTA.

CdwJava

How true that actually is... I don't know.
I did not read that ... where did THAT post go?

If so, then he committed yet another - more serious - criminal offense as it puts the driver at risk of prosecution for a felony. I suspect that if true, the police could easily sort that one out and would come after him with glee.

arizonahelp said:
Oh geez, there is Zigner again, quick at the draw to castigate someone. It's never too soon to rub someone's nose in "it", is it Zigner.

Don't you get tired of being holier than thou? Or does this desire spring from some form of sadism??? Maybe you missed your calling as a lethal injector.
Ah, and I see you contributed oh so much to the conversation. You posted here simply to stalk Zig? Wow! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">