• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of attorney power

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rexus13

What is the name of your state CAL

A dear friend of mine is now under the thumb of someone with the health care directive. How much power does this guy have?

If my friend David wants to meet a friend of mine, can the guy, R, decide if David can meet him or not?

I have been a long time friend of David. I feel that R may be jealous and wonder if R can forbid the two of us from seeing each other.

David is in a care facility.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Unless your friend is incompetent, he's free to rescind any POA or health care directive at any time.

I've never heard of a POA (medical or otherwise) or advance directive having any bearing on who could visit or not.

TrustUser

to add to what ron said, health care directives only come into play when someone is not able to clearly state their own intentions.

many people enter health care facilities while still highly capable of speaking for themselves.

the real main purpose of health care directives was because the medical community was well known for "keeping people alive" at a very high cost.

few people want to be kept alive. the health care directive (or living will) is a mechanism to ensure that their wishes are followed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">